Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Racism   General Confusion

Started 6/13/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 21904 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/13/19

I had a thread devoted to this topic, but it seems to have vanished...

Di (amina046)

6/13/19

I find it harder and harder to find some of the threads. Guess we are weaving to many plots.

i think it was called: lets talk about racism.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/14/19

It was called "This'll be fun, let's talk about Racism!"

Completely vanished.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/18/19

Apparently you can't learn from your mistakes.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/19/19

BerrySteph

6/19/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

A teenage neo-Nazi who suggested Prince Harry be shot for being a race traitor following the Duke of Sussex's marriage to Meghan Markle is jailed for more than four years.

Essentially, I applaud this sentence.

However, I worry that we've over-reacted, 

Updated 7 hours ago - A teenage neo-Nazi who called Prince Harry a "race traitor", suggesting he be shot after the Duke of Sussex married Meghan Markle, has been jailed for more than four years under UK terrorism laws.

... Judge Rebecca Poulet lambasted student Michal Szewczuk, 19, for creating an image of the Duke of Sussex with a pistol to his head against a blood-spattered background, among other far-right online propaganda. The post, which was shared a few months after he married the former actress last year, included the phrase "See Ya Later Race Traitor".

... Judge Poulet said the posts were "abhorrent as well as criminal by reason of their clear intention to encourage terrorist acts".

Szewczuk and his co-defendant, Oskar Dunn-Koczorowski, 18, both Polish nationals, pleaded guilty to encouraging terrorism and Szewczuk also admitted five counts of possessing material likely to be useful to someone planning a terrorist act.

... Szewczuk was jailed for four years and three months while Dunn-Koczorowski was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Sounds rather like a plea-bargain - but the more guilty one, of which there was real evidence, gets a much lesser sentence. Hmmmm.

... Other posts ... calls for women who date non-white men to be hanged.

... Before Donald Trump's retweets put Britain First on the world stage, ABC correspondent James Glenday spent a day with its leaders as they marched through an English town.

And this last part is worrying - the judge has lashed out at the pair and been quoted - but we're not seeing evidence of this despicability and its not on the charge sheet.

... The BBC quoted Judge Poulet as saying the pair's ideology was violently racist, anti-Semitic neo-Nazism and their posts attempted to encourage lone acts of violence from other members of the public on non-white and Jewish targets.

However, they were furriners so in the end justice has been done.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/20/19

At what point can you just shrug away an image of a man being shot in the head (yes, a fake one) because he married a woman of a different race?

I think that line is when that man is Prince Harry.

I doubt we would even know about this if the image was of this guy's neighbour.

BerrySteph

6/20/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

At what point can you just shrug away an image of a man being shot in the head (yes, a fake one) because he married a woman of a different race?

You can't. It is indeed very dangerous.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/21/19

This is why "Hate Speech" is such a complex thing to monitor.

Threats and images of violence are an easy line, but how do you stop people from getting to that line without shutting down the conversation and removing all chance to reason with people.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

6/24/19