Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

US News - General   America - all of it

Started 7/17/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 85844 views.
Di (amina046)

4/10/20

Di (amina046)

4/10/20

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/12/20

katiek2

4/12/20

Jen, the US did not run out of ventilators.  We did face a shortfall until the administration co-opted many manufacturing companies throughout the US and used the Wartime Production Act to get them to manufacture ventilators instead of cars, refrigerators, etc.  The information in the article you posted is at least a month old, and as such, could qualify as misinformation, but I know you wouldn't knowingly post such.  I just did a search on ventilator availabiiity in the US; surprisingly the most recent published information I could find was as of April 1.

According to the briefings held each day, the US is now in a position to begin sending ventilators to other countries that need them.  Our hot spots are now on the downside of "the curve", there are more patients being released or taken off ventilators than there are that need or are expected to need them.

If blame for the shortfall of ventilators when the pandemic began is to be allocated, please understand there is plenty to go around.  Medical experts have warned for more than a decade that our stockpile was not piled high enough.  In New York, Cuomo was offered ventilators (15,000 if I remember correctly) when they first got hit and he said "no thanks".  Now he takes credit for finally getting them.  

Many people have managed this crisis magnificently, and many have simply failed.  There's no point in calling out the failures if you're not going to applaud the successes.

OKAY - enough of today's rant.  I think you can verify all of the above with a little deep dive into US newspapers, even the ones that hate Trump.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/13/20

The article was a look back at why it is taking so long.

These manufacturers making fridges and cars had to completely redesign their factory floors and learn how to make ventilators.

VERY fine work needed. 

The use of 3D printers was a huge help in allowing the technicians to see the parts they needed to make.

Kind of a relief that this did not happen 10 years ago.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/13/20

I agree, that different governors are either stepping up or failing miserably - on both sides of the political aisle.

And some of the blame has to reside in the manufacturing industry that was tasked with making the ventilator supply, but didn't.

BerrySteph

4/13/20

katiek2 said: I just did a search on ventilator availabiiity in the US; surprisingly the most recent published information I could find was as of April 1. 

That pretty much tells us what we need to do - there is no good news, its all catastrophic.

katiek2 said: According to the briefings held each day, the US is now in a position to begin sending ventilators to other countries that need them.  

Excuse my cynicism - Trump has been pirating equipment going to Germany and France and threatening India over the supplying of drugs.

katiek2 said: Our hot spots are now on the downside of "the curve", there are more patients being released or taken off ventilators than there are that need or are expected to need them. 

That's possible, though you need to prove it.

katiek2 said: Many people have managed this crisis magnificently, and many have simply failed.  There's no point in calling out the failures if you're not going to applaud the successes. 

Dubious

katiek2 said: OKAY - enough of today's rant.  I think you can verify all of the above with a little deep dive into US newspapers, even the ones that hate Trump.

Hmmmm ....

BerrySteph

4/13/20

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

And some of the blame has to reside in the manufacturing industry that was tasked with making the ventilator supply, but didn't.

The UK has been doing this very badly. Many manufacturers here answered the call some 4 weeks ago - they've never been contacted.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/13/20

CzoeMC

4/13/20

There is disagreement over how to describe the changes at the NSC’s Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense in 2018. The departure of some members due to “streamlining” efforts under John Bolton is documented. The “pandemic response team” as a unit was largely disbanded.

From Reuters.com

That pretty much tells us how prepared Trump thought we should be for anything of this sort.