Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

News from France   The U.K and Europe

Started Jul-23 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 1574 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-24

No idea what's in the code.

I never got my hand book.

Who do I complain to about that?

RGoss99

Aug-26

Depends on how one measure´s slowness. If one´s standards are Denny´s or McD´s yes French food service is slow, but then the purpose of French restaurants is not just the food, but the ambience. Here, during the summer we have a dinner concert in the street on Sunday nights. This involvesone a single sitting so the capacity for the three hour period is equal to the number of chairs at the tables. Most arrive at 20:00 and leave at 23:00- I did not finish checking the menu until 20:30, I got my main course around 21:00, and desert abround 22:00- Most ate at about the same rate, but then the meal here, and in France is only a fraction of the experience. The food was well prepared, and relatively inexpensive. The music was free because the 8 bars between the church and the city hall, pay for, and feed the musicians and their families.

When people from here go to America, and the waiteer comes up and says will there be anything else, they end to be insulted because they read this to mean. OK, you have finished the food, and we need your table. Of course, as the French stereotype, this depends on the class of restaurant, but not necessarily the prices. In the U.S., I have noticed this "we need your table" message, depends on organization. Common with chain restaurants, less so with one off family restaurants, or restaurants serving authentic foreign food. For example, I avoid American restaurants that can serve a pizza  or paella in less then 30 minutes, have Mexican food with the cheese baked to the plate, where the rice on your plate is in the form of the plastic bag it was cooked in,where vanilla ice cream does not have little dark specs in it, the bread is white, the croutons come from Pepperidge Farm, vichysoise is at room temperature,  etc.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-27

I went out to a "traditional" French restaurant here in Perth, where they said the service will take a little more time.

That is okay, but when you are the only person at a table of a dozen people and you are yet to get your meal while everyone has finished theirs - it sucks.

And nobody could get another drink when there were no wait staff to offer you one.

It is expensive to eat out in Perth, so you expect good food and good service for your money.

Finding both is rare.

In reply toRe: msg 13
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-27

RGoss99

Aug-27

I have also experienced this at restaurants in one country that claim to be of a "tradition" from another.

They also tend to cheat when it comes to catering traditional food, but modified to accomodate for local tastes.

For example "Doritos" os am American brand, produced by Pepsi Cola, marked as Mexican (actually Tex Mex).

In Mexico, the food idem is basicly fried bits of broken pieces of tortitas (domestcly left over from last night´s dinner)

But here in Spain, if one finds "nachos" on the menue, all the ingredients are right except the "tostitos" which are substituted by "Doritos"

Besides the problem of authenticity, these triangles are too large and inflexible, so at the wrong angle, they jab the roof of your mouth or into your gums.

Paella (which really means a meal cooked in a "paeller" (frying pan)) is common thoughtout Spain, but outside of Spain, the default is Paella Valenciana, which is

great, but the consumer is deprived of all the other regional forms. In this form, one expects rice, but one seldom gets it with cus cus, or noodles. The Valencia style is yellow in color with safron, but as this is way too expensive, a cheaper spice is used with yellow food coloring.

In Scotland, "chips" is common with rice in Chinese restaurants.

English speakers associate crepes with French food, but in France and throught europe a crepe is simply a pancake or tortilla, served in an infinite variety of ways.

For example, after rehersals in Manacor (Mallorca) where the locals have a light evening meal late, we go to a crepere with an enormous list of crepes on the menue, allowing for all courses, salad, entre, desert. This is also common in France, but not what foreigners expect there. Both here and in France, at fairs and street markets, a crepe stand is quite common. Just a gas heated inverted frying pan, bowl of batter, and a person with a spatua, and a large collection of fillings.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-30

Now I'm hungry.

RGoss99

Aug-30

Meals here are social occasions. Since my goal is to lose 10 pounds I am always tempted and always hungry.

There is a related problem in that no matter how much I lose, I always seem to be moving foreward. Pot the same size, losing weight in my  butt.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Aug-31

That's an odd visual.

There's a new diet out - fast and feast. You starve yourself for a day, then feast on the other.

Sounds reckless and dangerous, but some claim it is how humans evolved to eat.

RGoss99

Aug-31

Most fast food is not good for one. What I find sad here is that the main pedestrian entry into the old part of our capital, is across the street from the train and bus terminal, it is also our largest, but not its main plaça. It has no restaurants selling our traditional food, fast or otherwise, but it does have McD´s, KFC, and Burger King in its most visuable locations. Among the tourists, there seems to be some ethnic selectivity where anglos tend to mob KFC and Burger King, and hispanics and Blacks to KFC. Fortunately our nutrition standards are higher and all four have a more nutritious menu then found in the U.S. We also have strict architectural regulations and all the buildings facing this plaça are over 150 years old (golden arches not allowed). In each example, the order and distribution points are limited to what seems like a relatively narrow shop. The dining areas are limited to plaça side terraces, basements, and one floor up, in what was a residential flat, but with the partitions removed, so a nice view. It is ironic, having spent most of my life in Southern California, what one finds out here. Just before Christmas, Taco Bell took over the lower two floors, and terrace of a 7 story apartment building Floors 3-7 are each two mirror image apartments each with balconies, but from across the plaça Taco Bell is not a distraction, because the building is "art deco" (early 20c modern - think Gaudi, and the Holy Family in Barcelona. As the others, few tables inside on the ground floor which is actually a two story atrium, with tables on balconies above. However the decoration them reflects Taco Bell´s original source, Long Beach, California, so the theme is California beaches and surfing. But again,because of local standards, the menu is more nutritious, and actually more ethnic Mexican (soft shell tacos, etc.) The cheese is not like Velvita, but a variety of local , and other local ingredients. So I cheat on my diet. I have one complaint however, way too automatic and computer orientated. One can not walk up to the counter and ask for a specific combination of items. First one must go to a computer and work one´s way through a nest of menus with "clever" names for the items (fortunately good illustrations). Then enter one´s name, and if one does not want to pay cash, use one´s credit card. Then find a seat while waiting for your name to appear on a screen. then approach the counter with one´s receipt to be taken by an underpaid young, often either an uneducated drop out or ethnic immigrant, neither of which speak the local language very well. But other then that lengthly procedure, the food and ambience are good. Another difference is that where the key word in "fast food" is "fast". Because they want you to eat fast, so they can use the table for the next customer, there are no newspapers provided, and a waiter appears about the time you put your fork down and asks "can I get you something else" (holding his hand held computer like he has no plans to use it) - the subtle message is hurry up and finish. Note that in America, at least, they usually have newspaper vending machines by the door.i

RGoss99

Aug-31

Tried that, has not worked for me.

the problem is the time lag between between when you are full, and when you feel you are full. In other words if you eat until you are full, then the consumption of at least the last 30 minutes of eating, simply is of no value and pts on weight. the same works in reverse, when you are starving, your hunger causes you to over eat to reach homostasis.