Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

brexit - A Jonathan Pie analysis!   The U.K and Europe

Started Aug-12 by PTG (anotherPTG); 10114 views.
PTG (anotherPTG)

Sep-25

Boris the Criminal.

Boris didn't think running the country would be this hard! For tickets to see Jonathan Pie: The FAKE NEWS Tour go to https://www.jonathanpie.com

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-26

The language is getting worse.  I think Pie's reaching the brink of his sanity.

In reply toRe: msg 100
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-27

adwil

Sep-27

Your news source is inaccurate again. Johnson was told by his legal experts that the prorogation was legal and this was subsequently confirmed by the High Court who said it was not 'justiciable'. That means it was a political matter, not a legal one.

The Supreme Court decision blew that idea out of the water but to say he misled or lied to the Queen is rubbish. He told her what was true at the time.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Sep-27

You are giving only part of the story. The ENGLISH High Court said OK but the SCOTTISH High Court said that it was NOT!

And the Supreme Court is just that! SUPREME!

Do I get to infer your preferences on the topic of BoJo?

adwil

Sep-27

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

The fury of the Brexit inferno is so intense it could incite violence, the husband of murdered UK politician Jo Cox says, urging politicians to tone down their rhetoric.

And Brendan Cox is right. The reference to his wife was from a Labour MP who tried to use it to 'beat' Johnson. Johnson replied that the best way of remembering Jo Cox was to get Brexit done. What he meant was that accomplishing Brexit would deliver on the people's referendum vote and lower tensions in parliament and in the country. Brendan Cox and Mr Speaker deplored the language used on both sides but when I was watching the debate, the angry contorted faces were all on the Opposition Labour benches.

adwil

Sep-27

PTG (anotherPTG) said:

The ENGLISH High Court said OK but the SCOTTISH High Court said that it was NOT!

It's far more complicated. It's all about whether proroguing parliament is justiciable or not. Until the Supreme Court decision, the Scottish lower court and the English High Court had ruled that it was not justiciable. There was an appeal for  a decision by the Supreme Court which decided that this prorogation was justiciable. The supreme Court ruled that the Prorogation was too long and effectively canceled it. 

In a week or so, there will be another prorogation for a few days before the Queen opens a new session of Parliament.

"Do I get to infer your preferences on the topic of BoJo?"

Only because I believe that the referendum result should be honoured. 55% of my strong Labour constituency voted to leave the EU. Up to now I have usually voted Labour or Liberal and have never voted Tory. 

The liberals say they're going to revoke Brexit whilst Labour is utterly confused but mostly want to stay in the EU. I have nowhere to go but the Tories or Nigel Farage.  Not choices that appeal.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Sep-27

Unfortunately I think that the first Referendum itself was both flawed and incomplete in its creation

That is the main purpose of us now having a second much more informed referendum. as a TRUE test of the People's will.

To exit without a deal will relegate this nation into 3rd World status for a LONG time in spite of the "reassurances of "informed Northern Brexiteers!

adwil

Sep-27

PTG (anotherPTG) said:

Unfortunately I think that the first Referendum itself was both flawed and incomplete in its creation

The referendum  was neither flawed nor incomplete. 

The referendum asked simply if people wanted to remain in the EU or leave. The result was a clear majority for 'Leave'.

The main political parties promised they would respect and enact the referendum result. 

You want what you amusingly characterise as "a TRUE test of the People's will."  I must admit I thought that was what the referendum was all about.

"To exit without a deal will relegate this nation into 3rd World status for a LONG time "

Yes, we've all been told if we vote for Brexit, there'll be a plague of frogs, the rivers will run with blood and all the firstborn will die. It's the usual Project Fear that didn't frighten the British people during the referendum. The dire warnings of immediate recession and mass unemployment if a majority of people dared to vote for Brexit strangely didn't materialise.

We're bored by such nonsense and distrust the motives of those purveying that line. The 6th country economically in the world doesn't suddenly become a third world country because it becomes independent again.

Of course I would prefer a deal, but the most important thing for me is that we escape from creeping federalism and become truly independent again.

PTG (anotherPTG)

Sep-27

we have very different and diverging views on this topic so I will say no more for the moment. I just hope that I live long enough to play back your words , say, in two years time!