Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Trump = Douchebag 2   America - all of it

Started 7/25/17 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 37665 views.
Di (amina046)

Sep-22

I am sorry you should feel that way.

I have lived in several countries on 4 of the 5 continents and we all are the sum of our experiences, reflected in our opinions.

katiek2

Sep-22

I don't understand why you and Di assume I'm a bible-belt, uneducated idiot that can't think for herself.  You and she are very good at the subtle dig, and not responding to a post with a true statement that doesn't attempt to belittle the poster.  No one had to drum anything into me.  It's amazing what happens when one makes a decision based on evaluation of choices instead of emotion.

Just a point - I checked into solar for our home recently.  We live in a desert, so it seemed the obvious choice.  We have a pretty standard, cookie-cutter subdivision house.  larger than some, smaller than others.  AFTER a 30% subsidy by the local energy company and the government, the cost was $25,000 US plus.  We would be free of electrical energy cost in 25 years, in 8 years if we paid cash.  We certainly won't be around long enough to pay it off and enjoy no electricity bill, and maybe not even 8 years.  Stuff happens.  

Any other suggestions?  

I don't understand your comment:

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Granted, we still have power to run out handheld agrarian tools, but it's super expensive.  Unless you have solar panels and a generator - then you're pretty much self sufficient (especially if you're down with agrarianism and growing your own food).  Anyway, the point is that there is no more money. You have to make a choice.

An agrarian society lives by farming because there is no other way to feed, clothe, transport or house the community.  It is living as we did less than 200 years ago, and it is exactly a choice between food or money.  If your crops fail or your livestock dies, or you live in a city with no job, you die.  Jobs are essentially slavery, working for the elite that live on generations of other peoples labor. 

Generators run on electricity.  Maybe in some areas water mills could generate enough electricity to run a generator.  Maybe in some countries the government will pay for the cost of solar.  I don't hear that being suggested though.  There are many ways that fossil fuel energy could be supplemented by wind or solar or even water energy, but unless you want to go back to living the way people did before the combustion engine was invented, fossil fuels are here to stay.

Electric cars and other non-animal forms of transportation - how will they be manufactured without electricity, or is fossil fuel electricity reserved only for the government and manufacturing?  Darn, there we go again, making the rich  richer and everyone else pays the price.  BTW, a couple of our democrat contenders and a certain newbie legislator want to "substantially reduce" or do away with animal farts, so there goes our transportation after we do away with fossil fueled transportation.  Yes, that is part of their agenda.  We're supposed to get on board with such nonsense?

I doubt if airplanes will run on electricity generated by wind, water or sun.  Thankfully, shipping by wind power will be possible - labor in the shipping industry will again be a big thing.  Of course, the laborers won't own the ships, they'll be paid a pittance while the owners reap the rewards (again).

Finally, instead of bashing each other over the head with hysterical pronouncements of doom, coupled with personal insults, veiled or otherwise, how about a civil conversation, taking into account the realities of our world, the way we live, and what we want and reasonably expect to produce for the future.  

katiek2

Sep-22

I said, for me, the US is the only place I want to be.  We are a country of 350 million.  I don't believe there is anyplace that offers the opportunity it does for the greater portion of the population.  

katiek2

Sep-22

You are right - and after experiencing life in several countries, I choose to live in the U.S.

katiek2

Sep-22

Here's another difference - your government still reports to England.  We don't.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-23

katiek2 said:

I don't understand why you and Di assume I'm a bible-belt, uneducated idiot that can't think for herself

I didn't.  I've never even mentioned the bible belt.  And I certainly don't think of you in that way!

My reference to messages "drummed" in, were in general.

No one is saying that the transition to renewable energy will be easy or cheap.

But there are other areas where there will be savings.

The health industry, for example, will not have to dedicate anywhere near as much money to treat illnesses caused by air pollution and contaminated water.

Biofuels could replace fossil fuels.  More electric cars would help.

Hydroelectricity, geothermal plants and nuclear fusion could create the base power needed to keep the cities running, while solar, wind and wave power supplement the extras.

I apologise for my sarcastic tone, but it is a choice.  Money or the planet.

Australia has chosen money.

Australia will not explore these options, because we are making money off the death of the planet.

Cha-Ching!!

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-23

katiek2 said:

Here's another difference - your government still reports to England. We don't.

Not really. There are a couple of ceremonial duties of the Governor general, but other than that - the only reason we're still in the Commonwealth is for the Games.

Di (amina046)

Sep-24

It seems Trump is bored by Kushner, but he can’t fire him

PTG (anotherPTG)

Oct-18

Trump's Great and Unmatched Wisdom

This week, Trump went from Cilla Black to The Wizard of Oz whilst screwing his fellow allies hard in the arse. For tickets to see Jonathan Pie The FAKE NEWS ...

BerrySteph

Oct-18

I think he's a Russian.

After all, if the Russians can have the diabolical effect on US elections we all know that they did - passing themselves off as American and hijacking Yosemite Same - just think how much more capable they must be of deceiving us.

Needless to say, if I believe this to the soles of my shoes, how difficult can it be to mock and ridicule me for my gullibility and force me into pretty near resentful silence?