Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Commonwealth refugees swilling chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The War on Drugs   General Confusion

Started Sep-16 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 227 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-16

adwil

Sep-18

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

After a 40-year war on drugs,

That's being lost all over the world. I don't believe anything should be banned apart from nannying adults. Make all drugs legal and accessible through pharmacies to adults and tax them. That will wipe out the drug cartels in no time and empty prisons. Turn drugs into a health matter like tobacco and alcohol and make sure buyers get pure stuff and know exactly what the risks are for the drug they're choosing.

The only people who will lose out are the criminals and the idiots who don't care what they put into their bodies. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-18

I agree in some regard.

But then you have drugs like meth and ice.

And the addicts still have to pay for their habit.

Pot, absolutely! Make it legal.

LSD and ecstasy would be OK. Do the kids still take those?  Pure speed and cocaine, OK too.

Perhaps then there would be no need for meth, ice or heroin?

adwil

Sep-18

I think it would be best to bring it all out into the open as a health issue.

bml00

Sep-18

If you legalized drugs and they became Government controlled similar to Alcohol or Cigarettes the initial changes would see the immediate demise of the drug cartels and at the same time those addicted can now receive support , the Police now concentrate on other issues , the tax revenue would be welcomed and the addicts would be living with no shame and have an opportunity to gain support

Like those that die from Cancer from Cigarettes or Alcohol it is inevitable but it will not be those lost but those saved where it matters

BM

In reply toRe: msg 5
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-19

I see your point.

But I think there will always be a line in the sand with regard to what drugs can be "managed".

Ice and meth will never be included.

However, if the purer forms are legal, then they may fade away.

But again, the legal drugs (with the tax) will be more expensive than the backyard lab ones - so the criminal industry would still exist.

bml00

Sep-19

Never is a big word as i am sure drug companies can provide managable copies , if the there was a will to solve the problem then a way will be found.

The ability to legalize drugs in itself would save untold billions , it would cut the legs off the drugs trade similar to the lifting of prohibition etc

You assume legal drugs would be more expensive , drug companies work for huge profits but this may require International control of price capping , if drugs are to be legalized then every aspect of the issue has to be shown to be attractive to producer and user and at the same time the availibility will be 24/7 + assistance this huge cost will be off set by the enormous savings the Police would benefit from along with umpteen other benefits I cant think of

BM

In reply toRe: msg 7
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sep-20

Excellent points, all.