Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Let’s talk history   America - all of it

Started 8/7/21 by slackerx; 4950 views.
slackerx

8/10/21

CamGeary said:

One place where I come in handy is my undying "a plague on both your houses" mindset...

That comes in very handy for cultures in resistence like my wife's in which nonviolence is a lifestyle.

• Edited August 11, 2021 10:28 am  by  slackerx
CamGeary

8/11/21

Of the tribe itself, or just among some fraction of the population?

slackerx

8/11/21

I had an article from the American Friends Service Commitee a couple of decades ago. I'll have to find my old post and retrieve the article. If I recall correctly, the article uses the term, "Comunities in Resistance" to describe such cultures. I'm sure the link is broken by now, but the wayback machine will probably have it.

Meanwhile, here's a video about las Cortamates. Aparently, the totumo tree comes from seeds that Black women brought there hidden in their hair centuries ago. 

The totumo tree is just a small part of the magic of the valley. 

These folks look pretty harmless, don't they?... I mean...well...you know...kinda'...sorta'...

Sur Real - Las cortamate (Capítulo completo)

En el Valle del Patía, al sur del departamento del Cauca existe una práctica ancestral, que se ha convertido en parte integral de la cultura y la identidad de los habitantes de esta zona, el corte de mate. Desde muy temprano Ana Celia y Amalfi, emprenden un largo viaje por las áridas praderas de este territorio, para conseguir un fruto que les permitirá llevar el sustento a sus familias. Territorio, vida y tradición, configuran el imaginario de esta práctica, que en la actualidad afronta un riesgo inminente de desaparición.

In the Patía Valley, in the south of the department of Cauca, there is an ancestral practice that has become an integral part of the culture and identity of the inhabitants of this area: mate cutting. From very early in the morning Ana Celia and Amalfi, undertake a long journey through the arid grasslands of this territory, to get a fruit that will allow them to bring sustenance to their families. Territory, life and tradition make up the imaginary of this practice, which currently faces an imminent risk of disappearance.

• Edited August 20, 2021 2:58 pm  by  slackerx
CamGeary

8/13/21

"So glad it wudn't me"-Chuck Berry

Here's the PDF I promised. I posted it in Coqui's forum here back in March of 2004. As you can see, the link is broken.

http://www.lawg.org/docs/afsc-colombia.pdf

But the Wayback Machine has several versions, including one from March 23, 2004, which should be the version that I posted back then.

Wayback Machine (archive.org)

Here it is:

Wayback Machine (archive.org)

Look under "Nonviolence As a Way of Life". In the extreme south of Cauca. 

From Wikipedia (English version). Look for "Black spooks". (They would be my wife's ancestors.)

Patía, Cauca - Wikipedia

History

The populated of Patía Valley, was conformed since prehispanic period by Bojoles Indians, Chapa chugas, Sindaguas y Patias, leaving their vestige to disappear behind the forced work and the missions in the Indians doctrinaire chapels and after of slaves that made part of the social organization of the farm landowners, that nowadays are places of archeologic evidence.

The foundation of the towns in the Patía Valley was realized by the clergy; When Indian population decimated, came the black spooks (black run off people) and released of the farms and mines that were exploited along the Patía river Guachicono until Juananbu in the Nariño department, creating the towns — or palenques — of black people.

The myths created in this region tell that after they ran off and with the idea of descrying their original Africa, the black spooks climbed the Manzanillo hill and when they did not see their ancestral land, they cried and cried, so much that their tears formed a lake.

Today this foundational mythical place can be visited in the rock of the hill Manzanillo, from which springs permanently feed the riverbed of the Valerio ravine.

Within its task there was the extraction of gold with punts in the depression called The Hoyo, where are located Quilcacé river and Esmita, where nowadays is handmade exploit mines of coal.

CamGeary said:

"So glad it wudn't me"-Chuck Berry

I'm not sure if you are referring to the fruit of the totumo tree, of if you intended this as a response to this post.

https://forums.delphiforums.com/aususuk/messages/1916/27

Las cortamates

Bambuco de la tradición interpretado por LAS CANTAORAS DEL VALLE DEL PATÍA, Patía Cauca Colombia.Imágenes de la región del Valle del Patía, encontradas en in...

CamGeary

8/14/21

I'm referring to living way down there....

CamGeary said...

I'm referring to living way down there....

It's hot as hell in the valley, or so I've heard.

In fact, apparently it's the hottest place in South America, or so I've read.

Climate tends to be a function of altitude in Colombia.

I'm not used to such prolonged heat, but some folks don't mind.

HACIENDA DE CHALGUAYACO EKLIPSE DE LUNA video oficial

CamGeary

8/15/21

It's too hot in Rhode Island, never mind in the tropics...

CamGeary said:

It's too hot in Rhode Island, never mind in the tropics...

Popayan, the capitol of Cauca, is close by, and is in the highlands. Climate there is wonderful. 70s. 

That's where I really want to live. We could just zip down into the valley to Patia any time we want.

I can't tolerate heat, either. Even in Palmira, I have a fan blowing on my face much of the time.