Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

adwil

Jul-15

bml00 said:

the winter is approaching and that is Ground Zero because the Flu arrives on top of the Corona / Covid and we have then the perfect storm .

You're right. The 1918 pandemic was mild to start with just killing off the elderly, like seasonal flu. Winter 1918 and spring 1919 was when the second and third waves of Spanish flu started killing off large numbers of young and fit people. There was  also a fourth wave in 1920.

This is the graph for the UK outbreaks of Spanish Flu. 

By Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291398/, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6916289

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Jul-15

You know what the directions were for beating the Spanish flu?

• Wash your hands
  • Stay inside unless absolutely necessary
  • Keep a safe social distance from one another
  • Cover your mouth, wear a mask if possible.

I was kinda hoping it was something stupid, like keep a potato under your bed.

MEDDLY

Jul-15

Spanish Flu, that was the name in 1918. Why are now people, especially whitey millennials, so squeamish about Chinese Flu/Wuhan Flu (COVID-19)? The Chinese Oligarchy doesn't give a rat's arse about the name being used outside China for the Flu. They basically don't give a sh*t about anything we say and/or do. Just ask the people of Hong Kong.

Wait, you Aussies have a lot of experience with Chinese arrogance/bravado so why preach to the choir!

bml00

Jul-15

We are in the 2nd wave with a furious public and infighting in the Government, each day it worsens and each day some cretin gets it wrong or makes it worse

The real battle in each country is about trying to keep the economy mobile as well as financing the unemployed and at the same time keeping the health system buoyant with ever decreasing revenue.

We are heady for choppy waters with a captain who is clearly not fit for purpose 

BM

adwil

Jul-15

And despite all mitigation measures, Spanish flu killed an awful lot of people.

The strange thing is that no-one on either side of my family, died during that pandemic.

adwil

Jul-15

"The real battle in each country is about trying to keep the economy mobile as well as financing the unemployed and at the same time keeping the health system buoyant with ever decreasing revenue."

I think all our countries are in the same 'boat'.

Unfortunately, as we open up our economies we have an increase in cases, however much we wash our hands, cover our faces and socially distance. 

This winter could be very nasty if we follow the same pattern as Spanish Flu and there's no vaccine.

bml00

Jul-15

Now is the winter of our discontent etc

Should be good fun

BM

adwil

Jul-15

I'm staying at home and if I see friends, it's outside, fairly brief and socially distanced. Take care.

bml00

Jul-15

Our company is working from home which is rather pleasing other than my Wife going bananas from time to time over every tiny infringement

BM

adwil

Jul-15

;-) My sympathy.

I live by myself in  large house with a fast computer and satellite TV. Bliss.