Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Black Lies Matter   America - all of it

Started Aug-12 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 12438 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

I still agree that defunding the police and putting the money into education.

Instead of defunding the police, stop regulating the public - Francis Menton, Manhattan Contrarian, 8 October 2020
https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2020-10-7-instead-of-defunding-the-police-stop-regulating-the-public

... There has been so much anger directed at the police generally, and at the specific officers involved in deadly encounters, that larger forces at play are getting overlooked. There have been proposed policing reforms, but so far those reforms have focused mainly on specific police tactics that have led to bad outcomes (e.g. no-knock warrants, choke-holds, use of excessive force). I agree with many of these, and have also suggested ending no-knock warrants in a previous article. Republican Senator Rand Paul, who represents Breonna’s home state of Kentucky, wrote a signature bill in her honor, the Justice for Breonna Taylor Act, that also calls for an end to no-knock warrants. 

However, even these proposals treat the symptoms and not the disease. The disease is the endless proliferation of laws and regulations that can only be implemented through extensive police enforcement against members of the public, with the ever-increasing potential for friction and violence. A policy regime seriously intended to minimize violent police-civilian encounters would limit criminal laws and coercive regulations almost entirely to matters of serious use of force or fraud. That’s not what our government is doing. Instead we have extensive criminal laws and coercive regulations that prohibit – and impose draconian penalties on – consensual and non-violent behavior.  

By far the leading example of this phenomenon is the Drug War. It’s no wonder that civilians feel they are under attack when drastic measures such as late-night no-knock warrants have become a common practice for non-violent crimes. The very fact that our government conducts a domestic “war” can explain “militarization” of police. And as long as police are told they’re fighting a war, they can justify use of force. It’s easy to see how police would come to see civilians as their opponents — and vice versa. In war, there is always an enemy. But while police have visibility in the public eye and have become targets, they are soldiers in the government’s army.

And although it is by far the largest cause of these problems, the Drug War is far from the only example of an over-legalized criminal and regulatory regime driving police-civilian animosity and even violence. The policy prescriptions of the progressive and social justice left – the same people calling to “defund the police” – are a source of near-infinite proposals to micromanage citizens in an endless quest to perfect human behavior. This group is seemingly oblivious to the inevitable consequences of necessary police enforcement and increased police-civilian friction.  Here are several examples:

Menton then writes about:

Gun control

Covid 19

and in particular, the Nanny State:

The same person who ultimately apologized for ordering the intrusive actions of the NYPD with stop-and-frisk also had an endless desire to write more laws to create his view of an ideal society. This website has a catalogue of all the regulations on his agenda. Says the source: “A better question might be what hasn't he tried to regulate or ban…: alcohol, calorie counts, carbon, cell phones, cigarettes, contraceptives, composting, fingerprinting, gasoline, noise, politics, privacy, Second Amendment, soda, sodium, Styrofoam, taxis, tanning, traffic congestion and trans fats.”  How are all these rules and regulations to be enforced, other than by police action?  And it’s not just Bloomberg. Before the pandemic struck, the whole country was in the midst of a push to implement bans on plastic water bottles, grocery bags, and straws.

Who do Democrats think enforce the rules they write? Perhaps the “abolish the  police” idealists imagine they can get the community to monitor itself, 
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message

But she needs to calm the hell down.

I've seen her speak numerous times and had no idea what you might be talking about. Until I got to the point where she talked about "victim mentality". Tell the truth, that's what triggered you, isn't it?

but that does not mean it cannot do some good.

It's been in our streets for years. What "good" has it accomplished?

Oh, sorry, are you "triggered" again?

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Sigh.

Bored Bob?

Need to troll to get your rocks off?

Still playing "head troll" in your forum I see. Pretending to respond while actually only posting personal attack. Once again;

but that does not mean it cannot do some good.

Oh, sorry, are you "triggered" again?

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-10

Bob, you repeat the same jabs over and over.

Yes, they are small, but there are hundreds of them.

It's mildly irritating.

And it draws focus away from whatever you actually want to talk about.

So I have to trawl back through the thread to find out what you want to discuss amidst the pinpricks.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-10

Make Dems Cry Again 2020! (bobrazz) said:

OK, now I have context.

The "good" it has accomplished is bringing forward the ideas and social policies involved in defunding the police.

Unfortunately this "side movement" has chosen a terrible name that is very misleading.

Bob, you repeat the same jabs over and over.

Only when you pretend to respond with your childish schoolyard taunts. Is your ego really so fragile that you cannot accept the fact that you might be wrong? Is your intelligence so lacking that you cannot even attempt defend your statements? What?

And it draws focus away from whatever you actually want to talk about.

I asked a simple question. One that was clearly not "personal". You took offense. That's on you, not me.

So I have to trawl back through the thread to find out what you want to discuss amidst the pinpricks.

Wear thick leather soles, then. Of course, answering the pointed, honest, question would have avoided all that. You are, apparently, neither strong enough, nor intelligent enough, to figure that out by yourself.

Let me brighten up your day. I found a news article that had your picture yesterday;

The "good" it has accomplished is bringing forward the ideas and social policies involved in defunding the police.

And, the people of cities around this country are enjoying the fruits of that idiocy. You liberals will never understand that when people start to understand that laws are not going to be enforced more laws are broken. When a policeman knows that he faces suspension or jail simply for doing his duty protecting the community, and himself, (the vast majority of shootings by police are found to be justified) he will be very slow to respond to such incidents.

I just read a meme that illustrates, perfectly, your mindset;

WE VOTED TO RAISE TAXES ON PROPERTY OWNERS, NOT RENTERS. WHY DID OUR RENT GO UP?

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Oct-11

Once again, you have failed to understand my point, inserted your own in its place, then attacked me, based upon that strawman argument.

I'm sure the remainder of this "conversation" will be just as pointless.

Or, in other words...

Argument invalid memes | quickmeme