Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cancel Culture or Accountability?   World Wide WTF?

Started 11/11/20 by Apollonius (Theocritos); 4506 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host
Apollonius (Theocritos) said:

This is just one small example of why I put no trust in Wikipedia anymore.

I agree, they should have a bio that puts his words in context as a white nationalist and "pseudoscientist".

I think Wikipedia authors should lean towards labelling people as they see themselves.

The U.S. Library of Congress follows this rule when naming people or assigning appropriate subject headings.  It's a basic courtesy.

Instead, Wikipedia authors feel compelled to editorialize-- as if they are qualified to judge!

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

I have not noticed any particular bias.  Can you direct me to something you feel is unfair?

In reply toRe: msg 16
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Look, for example at the article on Whitney Houston, with its pages and pages of detail and 400 bibliographical citations. Now, I suppose there are some fans here. However, most real musicians would call her a fashion model, not a singer, and someone who is probably most famous for having died of a drug overdose rather than for her music.

Then look at the Wikipedia entry for Montserrat Figueras, a real singer who died of cancer just three months before Houston, but someone who gets about a hundred words and eight citations.

Here's another example, one you're bound to find controversial.  

Samuel Jared Taylor (born September 15, 1951) is an American white supremacist[2] and editor of American Renaissance, an online magazine espousing such opinions, which was founded by Taylor in 1990.

He is also the president of American Renaissance’s parent organization, New Century Foundation, through which many of his books have been published. He is a former member of the advisory board of The Occidental Quarterly and a former director of the National Policy Institute, a Virginia-based white nationalist think tank.[3] He is also a board member and spokesperson of the Council of Conservative Citizens.[4][5]

Taylor and many of his affiliated organizations are accused of promoting racist ideologies by civil rights groups, news media, and academics studying racism in the United States.[6][7][8][9]

The designation ‘white supremacist’ comes from the Southern Poverty Law Center and from some 70 footnotes to the Wikipedia article, all of them far-left/liberal sites and hate organizations like the SPLC.

Further into the article you read that he is a graduate of Yale. For some years he was West Coast editor of PC Magazine. He has also taught Japanese at Harvard.  He was born in Japan and is fluent in Japanese (as well as French), having also worked as a court translator. He has also travelled and worked extensively in West Africa. He has voiced the opinion that Asians are smarter than white people.

But for casual Wikipedia viewers he is an American white supremacist.

I'd never heard of this guy until a couple months ago, so I asked someone who is familiar with him what he would call himself.  He replied:

I have heard him use “white identitarian” to describe himself. The essential idea is that whites have common values and interests; therefore, have to organize themselves by identity in order to secure them. I suspect, his early experience in Japan was formative in regard of his ability to see his own people through an ethnic lens.

My favourite examples are those that describe the various indigenous peoples of the Americas.  Because this is a field in which I have done so much reading and had so much live experience, I have found any that I have looked at to be almost laughably inaccurate and incomplete, emphasizing certain cultural characteristics and events which jive with woke sensibilities while omitting any mention of all the many traits which a modern reader would likely find truly repulsive.

The historical information is invariably highly skewed.  One of the most basic problems, and this is something that you'll often find misrepresented in other venues, including many otherwise acceptable books, is the idea that these various groups have a recognized territory which they have inhabited for millennia.  In almost all cases, nothing could be further from the truth.    The overwhelming majority came from somewhere else, typically slaughtering, expelling or absorbing the previous inhabitants.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

Feb-13

Wikipedia is edited by regular people.  It is their bias that you are seeing, not anything consciously enforced by Wikipedia management.