Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Guns. Yes, let's have a discussion   General Confusion

Started 10/5/17 by Johneeo; 64112 views.
Johneeo

11/10/17

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Are you a member of any of these organisations?  Are you an official part of a militia? How many of the mass shooters of the past year would fit into your category?

Well, what would be considered "my category"?

OK, I am intelligent, have absolutely no mental issues, I obey the law, I am a contributor to society, I pay taxes.

I would have to opine that the one thing in common with these savages is they are all mentally whacked, no more, no less.

As for militias, one of the main characteristics is that they are formed as a defense to government overreach, therefore, any info on whether I am part of a militia is something that would best not be made public.

BTW, I am going to the range today and providing instruction on firearms safety and functionality for a new gun owner.

Oomp (AstroLib)

11/10/17

>>As for militias, one of the main characteristics is that they are formed as a defense to government overreach...<<

I sometimes wonder what kind of a doofus James Madison really was:
"Let's see: I'm going to be part of this new government. Better make sure that anybody who might have an issue with my crew is armed to the teeth so he can kill me and my pals if the notion moves him..."
So Booth, Guiteau, Czolgoz and Oswald  could have claimed they were just carrying out the wishes of the founders? Probably have as much luck with that as did Guiteau with his "doctors did it" defense.

So the main purpose of a  militia, any militia is sedition?  Wonderful.
I would guess that the founders had defense/offense against native tribes  (which would take another 100+ years to pretty much complete) was  the logic behind it: "Hey- Suppressing the injuns is your job. Act locally. Don't expect us to ship you a bunch of our soldiers any time you get in a hassle.  Soldiers cost money, and if we send them off to help you, it's gonna leave less pork in the barrel for us..."

>B-)
-Oomp

Dan (DANCULBERSON)

11/10/17

Oomp (AstroLib) said...

So the main purpose of a  militia, any militia is sedition?  Wonderful.

I read that the Second Amendment was a compromise in order to get the southern states to agree to sign the Constitution and that the militias named in the Amendment were in fact to allow Southern slave owners the ability to create a temporary army to go after runaway slaves and bring them back to the plantations.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/10/17

Johneeo said:

BTW, I am going to the range today and providing instruction on firearms safety and functionality for a new gun owner.

Good.  While you're there pay close attention to everything that is said.

The background checks are a joke.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/10/17

Great post!!!

In researching Guiteau I found an interesting point.  He bought a gun with an ivory handle because "He wanted it to look good in a museum".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_J._Guiteau

This is one thing that needs to be addressed in all the mass shootings.  All the shooters get their place in history. Their faces are splashed all over the news and everyone in the world knows their name - maybe just for a week.

It would be interesting to see the media try to cover the story without showing or naming the shooter, only the victims.

I mean, what's the point if you don't end up famous?

Cheers,

Jenifer

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/10/17

Dan (DANCULBERSON) said:

I read that the Second Amendment was a compromise in order to get the southern states to agree to sign the Constitution and that the militias named in the Amendment were in fact to allow Southern slave owners the ability to create a temporary army to go after runaway slaves and bring them back to the plantations.

Now THIS is interesting!  Can you recall where you read that?

In reply toRe: msg 48
Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/10/17

The good guy with the gun.

I am not disputing that the Texas school shooter was stopped by "a good guy with a gun".

But there are two big problems with this.

1.  It should not be the job of a good guy with a gun to protect the innocent.  That's the police's job.  And not every good guy with a gun is a trained shooter.

2.  Good guys with guns can get in the way.

A shooting at a Walmart in Thornton, Colorado last week was hampered by about four "good guys with guns".  This meant it took the police FIVE hours to figure out who was the bad guy out of all the 'good guys' on the surveillance tape. This wasted precious time in identifying the shooter.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/02/shoppers-pulled-weapons-walmart-shooting/

Yes, coming to the rescue of others is a brave thing.  But it is only a matter of time before a self-appointed deputy shoots the wrong guy.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/10/17

And the bump stocks are back on sale.

Check out this masterpiece of advertising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KKAGKhK6wI

Dan (DANCULBERSON)

11/11/17

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said...

Now THIS is interesting!  Can you recall where you read that?

I tried looking for it and couldn't, but now that I think about it, I believe I heard Thom Hartmann say it on his radio program. Here's what I could find:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/09/daniel-zimmerman/second-amendment-founders/

But last night on "Real Time with Bill Maher," Michael Moore was a guest, and he came up with the best argument for background checks I have ever heard before. He said that as far as we know, all mass shooters are men and many deaths are caused by a man shooting a spouse or another woman in the family, and so a law should be passed that before anyone can purchase a gun, he should have a written consent form from his wife, fiancee, ex-wife, or partner granting him the right to purchase a new gun. Of course, that leaves out men who don't have any "significant other."

Jenifer (Zarknorph)

11/11/17

Interesting article.

The problem with "getting the wife's permission" is battered wife syndrome.

They could easily be bullied or threatened into signing.

Only the ex partners would have the safety of distance to refuse.

Cheers,

Jenifer