Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ghost soldiers in Afghanistan   Don't know where to post it? Here is fine

Started 11/10/21 by NISSY (NISSY2); 372 views.
NISSY (NISSY2)

11/10/21

So why were Afghan troops unable to stop the Taliban when the NATO started its pull out? The answer is there was no Afghan military. The 300,000 Afghan troops didn't exist except on paper. The Afghan generals kept their pay for their own personal use.

A 2016 report by the US Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (Sigar) claimed that "neither the United States nor its Afghan allies know how many Afghan soldiers and police actually exist, how many are in fact available for duty, or, by extension, the true nature of their operational capabilities".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-59230564
adwil

11/10/21

I've no idea if that was true, but it would explain a lot.

In reply toRe: msg 2
NISSY (NISSY2)

11/10/21

It is a BBC report.
adwil

11/10/21

Yes Nissy, saw it as soon as I checked the news.

In reply toRe: msg 4
NISSY (NISSY2)

11/10/21

I think it is true. The Taliban won to easily.
adwil

11/11/21

I'm surprised the US forces training Afghan troops, didn't notice.

In reply toRe: msg 6
NISSY (NISSY2)

11/11/21

They probably trained the officers who knew English and believed the officers would train the Afghan troops in the respective languages. Afghanistan has four main languages and more minor languages. My Afghan friend in California was Tajik. Pashtun is the language many Afghans speak but no people represent a majority of the languages spoken in Afghanistan.
adwil

11/11/21

You're right. That could make things difficult to keep a close eye on, but it should have been spotted.

In reply toRe: msg 8
NISSY (NISSY2)

11/11/21

Those with power had no motive to spot the fraud. Corruption forces its way up and down. The war in Afghanistan was a cash cow for a few in high places.
adwil

11/11/21

I'd have been surprised if the people on the ground didn't notice what was going on.