Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Analysing Terrorism   General Confusion

Started 7/23/18 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 4797 views.
In reply toRe: msg 18
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

7/30/18

Secret school to deradicalise students

Ayu is one of 11 children undergoing deradicalisation at the school.

One of her classmates, a seven-year-old boy, lost his father in a shoot-out with counter-terrorism police.

Three other students became orphans when a bomb their father was building accidentally detonated in their Surabaya apartment, the same day the city's police HQ was targeted.

In another classroom, a 16-year-old bomb-maker and a wannabe suicide bomber, also 16, were mixed in with street brawlers, thieves and child prostitutes.

The radical children were considered victims at the school. Their identities were kept secret, even from their classmates.

"They would be seen by the other children as just a fellow problem child," head of the facility Neneng Haryani said.

"This is to ensure their safety … these kids should grow like any other kids, no different."

'The most important thing is building trust'

The location of the school was a secret. Several undercover guards patrol its boundaries, with dozens more on hand should an incident occur.

So far 102 children considered radical have come through the school. Most of them have now returned to their communities, having undergone rehabilitation.

"The most important thing here is the process of building trust with them," Neneng said.

"With this trust, they start to open up, pouring their hearts out and revealing their problems to the social workers."

Once trust was established, the children were encouraged to listen to music, play games and make friends, activities that were often denied to them by their families.

"We teach them facts about Indonesia, that it consists of many tribes, many religions … [and that] we have to tolerate others despite their religion. We cannot force our will onto other people," Sri said.

Neneng believes the fact many of the teachers were women was a fortunate coincidence, because the children see them as motherly figures.

"We have to create a lively atmosphere. [Teach them] to love life and that going to heaven doesn't mean you have to kill yourself," she said.

In just two months, the program appears to be working for little Ayu from Surabaya.

"When she was asked [what she wants to be] the first time, she said she wanted to be a martyr," Sri said.

"[Now] she wants to become a teacher."

RGoss99

7/30/18

That is the problema when pop sulture refers to "rag heads" and "camel jockies" there is an obvious solution, simply kill all Muslims. It worked for Hitlar, shy not for racist Americans.

The temptation to say the equivalent of "all X´s are y´s" is in all of us, over generalization based on ignorance.

Often the application of negative stereotypes, creates the reality were it did not exist formerly.

some time back a club I belonged to invited military from the U.S. VI Fleet here on R&R to attend a competition, and various of us took some of them to lunch. I had 4, one of whom was a Black guy from New York. Our Word "ghetto" has no racial connotations as it simply means neighborhood, so we have rich ghettos and por ghettos, I figured Americans visiting might like to see some of the culture first hand. We are an outside culture, and the poorer ghettos, tend to have more Street life then the richer ones, so I took them to lunch at a restaurent where the "natives" (as opposed to tourists) eat. This ghetto is racially mixed. The Black New Yorker commented to me that the Blacks here are different. Kidding, I (in non PC mode) said do you mean all Blacks are alike? This made him pause. Our Blacks come from different cultures then Americans, no history of slavery, civil rights struggle, not victims of the same prejudices, so why would they seem like American Blacks. In many cases of American, Blacks, gays, women, or other minorities, it is the American majority who have provided the temlate for them to act black gay or like women. Acceptance of difference in others is the first step towards world and community peace. I am often surprised here about how my programmed stereotypes are being challenged. Last night I was at a dinner concert in the Street. The cook, a Muslim (cooks pork but does not eat it) whom I have known since she was 11, now married with two kids. Came up behind me, put a hand on my shoulder, knowing my habits, suggested I try a different desert. I have never touched the hand of an adult Muslim woman, but regularly shake hands with Muslim males I know. Because of what I know of their stereotypes, I am unlikely to put my hand on this woman´s shoulder. At the same time felt honored that she was secure enough as a person, to put her hand on my shoulder.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

7/31/18

This is an excellent point about the history of a race, religion or culture within the country.

My country is a baby by comparison, but we have a terrible track record with Aboriginal human rights.

I love how active you are in your community!

If I ever make it to Spain, I'm claiming your couch and your tour guide services!

RGoss99

7/31/18

Welcome, but please note that Spain is a state, not a culture or nation, just one of three nations - Galegos, Basques, Catalans,

Catalan culture is quite different not just in language and customs - no flamenco, no bull fights, no deportion of Muslims and Jews.

This is the back strory behind the present Catalán issue The Spanish of Spain tend toward monarchy, fascism, racism, and the

superstitious side of Catholocism. Our culture is more casual, live and let live, and whatever Works trumps some people´s idea of law and order.

BerrySteph

6/22/19

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

Personally I draw the line at deliberately targeting innocent civilians.

Even though targeting innocent civilians is established Israeli policy, more than any other regime on earth ever?

And Israel's foreign policy objectives (burn everywhere, basically) are backed by us, we're forcing ourselves along the same route?

BerrySteph

6/22/19

Di (amina046) said:

I have seldom heard a more succinct and still well thought out explanation. Both Mr. Lister and Hiltermann make a most important case for a review of those designation.

Its not going to happen.

Terrorism is another of the terms we use as a bludgeon to disguise the fact that we're doing far more of the same thing.

In reply toRe: msg 21
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

7/18/19

Di (amina046)

7/18/19

If they were adults, the parents are not responsible! Only in Israel do they go after the whole family, destroying their homes etc.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

7/21/19

Di (amina046) said:

If they were adults, the parents are not responsible!

Okay, but if those adults were making threats about taking part in a terror attack and their families did nothing... I think they ARE responsible.

In reply toRe: msg 27
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

11/12/19