Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UK News - General   The U.K and Europe

Started 7/16/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 48148 views.
adwil

4/7/20

Everyone is vulnerable. Johnson is healthy, walked and cycled regularly (before he became PM), has no known lung or immunity problems and will hate every second he's in hospital  I hope he recovers soon but victims who survive can go through a period of total exhaustion so we may be in for a period with a Deputy PM.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/7/20

There is no Deputy PM...

In reply toRe: msg 292
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/7/20

In reply toRe: msg 293
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/7/20

BerrySteph

4/7/20

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

one of the world's oldest parliamentary systems doesn't have very clear rules on succession.

Doesn't need them.

Unlike some places we could mention, the UK has several times changed PM at quite short notice (twice in the last 5 years!)

Overseen by Her Majesty it has always happened very smoothly.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/8/20

It's all I have!

adwil

4/8/20

It's all I have!

relaxed

BerrySteph

4/8/20

There is no Deputy PM... ABC News Boris Johnson has no deputy PM. Instead he has a 'designated survivor' With Boris Johnson battling COVID-19 symptoms in intensive care, his 46-year-old Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab is at the helm. But one of the world's oldest parliamentary systems doesn't have very clear rules on succession.

I'm not sure why he'd need a Deputy PM.

Our experience with such is terrible - David Cameron was forced into coalition with the Lib Dems in 2010 and was forced to make their leader, Nick Clegg, his Deputy PM.

But the British are cunning - David Cameron gave Nick Clegg the referendum he wanted (changing the voting system in the UK, getting rid of First-Past-The-Post) but then tricked him into accepting the wrong system going onto the ballot-paper. Nick Clegg's flagship proposal went down to heavy defeat.

But David Cameron had double-shafted Nick Clegg, because the latter was forced to agree to charging students for their university tuition fees.

When the 2015 election came up, the Lib Dems (who had fought against charging students!) were cruxified and lost most of their seats - even including that of Nick Clegg!

That's why we don't have a Deputy PM, tried it once and it was a spectacular failure.

Or a spectacular success, mightily justifying the system as as every patriotic Brit believes. Sure stop any jumped up leader of a minor political party ever putting himself forward for that again!

In reply toRe: msg 297
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

4/9/20