Coalition of the Confused

Hosted by Jenifer (Zarknorph)

Confused malcontents swilling Chardonnay while awaiting the Zombie Apocalypse.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

US News - General   America - all of it

Started 7/17/19 by Jenifer (Zarknorph); 32399 views.
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-15

Trump hears what he wants to and touts it as truth.  He's not one for details.

Did Fauci tell U.S. 'not to worry about' coronavirus?

•Former White House advisor Steven Bannon says Anthony Fauci, director of the Centers for Control and Prevention, said Americans shouldn't "worry" about corona-19. 

•In late January, Fauci twice said the country shouldn't fret.

•But both times, he added that the situation could change.

Politifact

Trump Misquotes Fauci on Coronavirus Threat

Factcheck.org

BerrySteph

May-15

katiek2 said:

Are you talking about the same Dr. Fauci who in January told President Trump the virus was no threat to the US?  

You really don't like listening to the science, do you?

Fauci has advised US governments on diseases since the 80s, the early days of HIV.

katiek2

May-15

From the Factcheck article you linked above:  "In a Feb. 29 interview, Fauci said that “right now at this moment” the risk was “low” and there was “no need” for people “to change anything that you’re doing on a day-by-day basis.” But he added that “this could change,” that people needed to be wary of “community spread,” and that it could develop into a “major outbreak.”

So, with Fauci telling him the risk was low and there is no need to change anything, what do you think he should have done at that time.  If he had shut everything down, that action would have received the same response he got when he curtailed travel.  You say Trump only hears what he wants to hear - the left suffers from the same disease.

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-15

BerrySteph said:

You really don't like listening to the science, do you?

On the contrary, I do.

No offence, Katie - but aren't you a Climate Change denier?

Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-15

All Fauci could do was give Trump the facts he had at his disposal.

No one knew what the hell was going to happen when the virus first appeared.

There is no excuse for stupid decisions today, however.

BerrySteph

May-15

katiek2 said:

with Fauci telling him the risk was low and there is no need to change anything

Fauci did *NOT* tell Trump there was no need for him to change anything. (Behind the scenes he was almost certainly pleading for urgent action - and being ignored).

Fauci, speaking to the American public, said "there was “no need” for people “to change anything that you’re doing on a day-by-day basis.”"

In reply toRe: msg 284
Jenifer (Zarknorph)
Host

May-15

katiek2

May-15

No, I am not.  There is, IMHO, no doubt that the climate is changing, and that the emergence of the industrial age has helped it along.  I just don't believe that going back to an agrarian society is the answer.  It doesn't matter what we do to mitigate the change, the climate WILL change.  It does so on a cyclical basis.  If we discontinue completely use of all fossil fuels, the climate will still change.  Maybe not as fast as it is now, but it will continue to change.

katiek2

May-15

Jenifer (Zarknorph) said:

All Fauci could do was give Trump the facts he had at his disposal. No one knew what the hell was going to happen when the virus first appeared. There is no excuse for stupid decisions today, however.

1.  That is exactly what I was pointing out.  What should Trump have done at that point?

2.  What stupid decisions has he made today, or this week, or this past month, based on the information available to him.

I'd like to know what he should have done based on the "facts" he was given by his scientific advisors.  What would Obama have done?  What would Clinton or Bush or any other country leader have done?  There are a lot of people slinging arrows because they don't like the person sitting in the office - but they don't have any answers to what should have been done.

• Edited May 15, 2020 2:25 am  by  katiek2
BerrySteph

May-15

katiek2 said:

No, I am not.  There is, IMHO, no doubt that the climate is changing, and that the emergence of the industrial age has helped it along.  

I assumed you were a climate denier - but I did a quick check and can't see anything like that from you.

katiek2 said:

It doesn't matter what we do to mitigate the change, the climate WILL change.  It does so on a cyclical basis.  If we discontinue completely use of all fossil fuels, the climate will still change.  Maybe not as fast as it is now, but it will continue to change.

Now you're waffling and letting yourself down and parroting the stupidity of Trump and others.

katiek2 said:

I just don't believe that going back to an agrarian society is the answer.  

Nobody thinks that - what we need to do - as a matter of great urgency - is to make our energy from sustainables.