gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 279288 views.
Red7272

18-Aug

stancrist said:

Ever hear of a vehicle patrol?  An MRAP can handle the load.

Every heard of an AGL why do they need a mortar then?

Red7272

18-Aug

DavidPawley said:

Where is your fire base that’s within 5650m of the insurgents that are 1000m from your patrol?

Because you are securing the local population from the insurgent interference as part of a hearts and minds campaign with adequate numbers of troops, support and clear goals. 

poliorcetes

18-Aug

If you dudes continue to talk about 81mm mortars, I won't resist the temptation anymore and I will start to talk about RPAs / UAS which carry mortar bombs right above heads of the adversaries. Please don't make me derail this thread

Samuel Bendett on Twitter: &quot;China tests bomb-dropping drone… &quot;

Red7272

18-Aug

poliorcetes said:

If you dudes continue to talk about 81mm mortars, I won't resist the temptation anymore and I will start to talk about RPAs / UAS which carry mortar bombs right above heads of the adversaries. Please don't make me derail this thread

Well that would be an obvious solution but we are talking US army here.

stancrist

18-Aug

Red7272 said:

Every heard of an AGL why do they need a mortar then?

Well, the most obvious reason to take a mortar is 81mm HE > 40mm HEDP.  sunglasses

Other possible reasons they might want to have a mortar are firing smoke...

...and illumination.

stancrist

18-Aug

poliorcetes said:

LOL.  This thread was derailed more than 100 posts ago when the XM25 and Mk47 were brought into the discussion.  stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Farmplinker

18-Aug

Got any more good ones?

Red7272

18-Aug

My favourite is from Iraq. Bunch of guys with AKs blast away at a patrol from 800 metres while there is a closer sniper with a Tabuk hidden inside the back of a car or next to a pile of something soft to mitigate the muzzle report. US army spent years thinking they were being shot from 800 metres by AKs until someone realised it was a Chechen tactic that had made the trip to Iraq. 

DavidPawley

19-Aug

No, I mean the engagement geometry won’t work for many locations. It’s trivial to engage the patrol from 1km and be out of 81mm max range unless the patrol is so close to the fire base that there’s no pretence that the patrol is anything other than perimeter security.