gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 286548 views.
gatnerd

19-Oct

Absolutely fantastic find Poli, that really helps further the understanding of how the LSAT/CT ammo works.

Also really mindblowing how much thought went into that design.  

poliorcetes

19-Oct

I have no merit in it. The talented hombre who is investing tons of time in data and patents is @xmszeon 

https://twitter.com/xmszeon

stancrist

19-Oct

Latest T&P video has a number of xmszeon's animations.

Textron NGSW 6.8mm Plastic Ammo Deep Dive | US Army

Follow me for live updates: https://www.instagram.com/cappyarmy/Textron's rifle to replace the M4 is by far the most unique firearm of the past 100 years. In...

gatnerd

19-Oct

Good timing, was just about to post that. In addition to the animations, the rail mounted 'motion isolator' talked about last year still seems to be a thing. 

That alone could do wonders for improving hit probability. 

• Edited 19 October 2021 23:15  by  gatnerd
poliorcetes

20-Oct

But that guy didn't say anything serious about chamber sealing

stancrist

20-Oct

gatnerd said:

...the rail mounted 'motion isolator' talked about last year still seems to be a thing.  That alone could do wonders for improving hit probability.

I must be missing something.  It isn't the least bit clear to me how a hinged fore grip that lets the front of the rifle move around is supposed to improve hit probability.

poliorcetes

20-Oct

Once a position at x,z is declared, then the accelerometers detect motion in that two axis and compensate it until certain point. It's close to a "virtual monopod", like this

Arcabucero - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

but without a stick. Obviously it blocks the weapon inside a xz perimeter, not exactly to a point. But if it works it could be really something in certain circumstances... coupled with the FCS, for instance

gatnerd

21-Oct

The idea with the stabilizer is that it’s a motion isolator.

Normal rifle, your left hand grips the handguard. If your hand/arm trembles, then the muzzle moves as well.

With the stabilizer, you hold that thing. Your arm trembles, the bottom of the device moves, but the motion is isolated, and so the muzzle does not shift off target.

The increase in hit probability is due to making it easier to stay on target when firing from field positions. I imagine the level of improvement is like the difference between firing standing vs firing standing with the rifle hanguard resting on a wall. 

stancrist

21-Oct

I understand what it is supposed to do.

I just don't get how it can possibly do it.

But, that is not important.  Thanks, guys.

gatnerd

21-Oct

More info on the 'Aim Control Enhancer' as this is known:

And our whole earlier discussion of it:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/7812/1

It is conceptually similar, but simplified, to the stabilization systems / movement isolators used in tank guns: 

How Can a Glass of Beer Demonstrate the Quality of a Tank?

A glass of beer and a gun. Ukrainian defense companies are publishing videos demonstrating the high quality of their armored vehicles with original tests._Su...