gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 500648 views.
manimal87

18/1/22

Who do you guys think is gonna win the ngsw? 

taschoene

18/1/22

That cartridge isn't even remotely like 6mm ARC, which is fatter than 5.56 and has a much shorter case.  

stancrist

18/1/22

EmericD said:

Well, the "photoshop operator" is probably the one that gives us the superb 3D mechanical rendering of the Textron NGSW weapon (among other things), so I think that this guy knows what he was doing.

Then how do you explain him showing a "6mm" projectile the same diameter as a 5.56mm bullet?

Quadhelix

18/1/22

Just to note - I pulled up the image in an online photo editor and, as near as I can tell, the 5.56mm bullet is 47 pixels wide, while the "6mm" bullet is 51 pixels. 

51/47*5.56 is slightly more than 6.03

stancrist

18/1/22

taschoene said:

That cartridge isn't even remotely like 6mm ARC, which is fatter than 5.56 and has a much shorter case.

Quite true.  Since the drawing was posted with no other information, I can only speculate on the discrepancies.

-- Perhaps it was meant to be a "perfected" 6mm cartridge, giving 6 ARC performance in 5.56 NATO-size round?

-- Or maybe it is simply mislabeled, and was meant to show his take on 5.56 Neckless in TV-style polymer case?

stancrist

18/1/22

Quadhelix said:

...as near as I can tell, the 5.56mm bullet is 47 pixels wide, while the "6mm" bullet is 51 pixels. 

51/47*5.56 is slightly more than 6.03

Thanks for that info.  I was unable to measure any difference on the screen. 

gatnerd

19/1/22

stancrist said:

Perhaps it was meant to be a "perfected" 6mm cartridge, giving 6 ARC performance in 5.56 NATO-size round?

That would be my guess; and a pretty neat cartridge if it worked out. 

manimal87

19/1/22

Who will win in NGSW? What do you guys think?