gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 452065 views.
stancrist

18-Jan

EmericD said:

Well, the "photoshop operator" is probably the one that gives us the superb 3D mechanical rendering of the Textron NGSW weapon (among other things), so I think that this guy knows what he was doing.

Then how do you explain him showing a "6mm" projectile the same diameter as a 5.56mm bullet?

Quadhelix

18-Jan

Just to note - I pulled up the image in an online photo editor and, as near as I can tell, the 5.56mm bullet is 47 pixels wide, while the "6mm" bullet is 51 pixels. 

51/47*5.56 is slightly more than 6.03

stancrist

18-Jan

taschoene said:

That cartridge isn't even remotely like 6mm ARC, which is fatter than 5.56 and has a much shorter case.

Quite true.  Since the drawing was posted with no other information, I can only speculate on the discrepancies.

-- Perhaps it was meant to be a "perfected" 6mm cartridge, giving 6 ARC performance in 5.56 NATO-size round?

-- Or maybe it is simply mislabeled, and was meant to show his take on 5.56 Neckless in TV-style polymer case?

stancrist

18-Jan

Quadhelix said:

...as near as I can tell, the 5.56mm bullet is 47 pixels wide, while the "6mm" bullet is 51 pixels. 

51/47*5.56 is slightly more than 6.03

Thanks for that info.  I was unable to measure any difference on the screen. 

gatnerd

19-Jan

stancrist said:

Perhaps it was meant to be a "perfected" 6mm cartridge, giving 6 ARC performance in 5.56 NATO-size round?

That would be my guess; and a pretty neat cartridge if it worked out. 

manimal87

19-Jan

Who will win in NGSW? What do you guys think? 

gatnerd

19-Jan

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/01/19/beretta-true-velocity-confirm-partnership-announce-civilian-rm277/

True Velocity and global weapon manufacturer Beretta USA announced on Wednesday a strategic partnership in support of potential weapon production stemming from the U.S. Army’s Next Generation Squad Weapon program.

In addition to supporting True Velocity in weapon production for NGSW, Beretta USA will also take a leading role in the development of a variant of the RM277 intended for sale to international allies of the United States, as well as a semi-automatic variant of the RM277 rifle intended for civilian sale in the U.S. commercial market. Beretta Defense Technologies (BDT), the alliance of Beretta group companies focused on serving global military and law enforcement customers, will also explore other applications and chamberings of the 6.8TVC commercial cartridge in its extensive firearm portfolio.

SAAMI board of directors to accept the new cartridge and publish its specifications.

The 6.8TVC is a composite-cased round offering significant weight reduction, improved accuracy, and extended range versus comparable brass-cased cartridges. True Velocity introduced the 6.8TVC cartridge for SAAMI certification at a maximum average pressure of 65,000 psi with a 135-grain bullet at a velocity of 3,000 feet per second. It is the first composite-cased cartridge to be accepted for SAAMI certification.

stancrist

19-Jan

gatnerd said:

...a strategic partnership in support of potential weapon production...

That sounds rather iffy.