gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 458641 views.
17thfabn

28-Jan

18:35

"The Army has stated it will only procure about 100,000 of the new rifles and automatic rifles"

17thfabn

100,000 would probably be enough if you are only issuing them to infantry in the rifle platoons, cavalry scouts who dismount and rangers. Possibly  special forces but they get the toys they want.

• Edited 28 January 2022 22:23  by  17thfabn
stancrist

28-Jan

SiverSurfeR said:

As such, Lt. Gen. Eric Smith, deputy commandant of Combat Development and Integration, recognized the critic voices of the "arms room" concept focusing on those who say it won't work to the infantry automatic rifle with improved optic.

"You have basically trained Marines hitting targets all day long at 500, 700, 800 meters that used to be the range of school-trained snipers," Smith said. "[They're] hitting them all day long because the weapon system and its heavier barrel and the optic that goes with it means basically trained Marines can pick it up and pop individual targets out at ranges that used to be the sole domain of a sniper."

Before responding to your original post last night, I read several articles on the subject, including the one containing the paragraphs quoted above.  It appears that the General really does not understand the arms room concept.  That the M27 w/VCOG gives sniper-like capability to ordinary riflemen, does not in any way validate the concept.

The M27 w/VCOG (and bipod) gives the individual Marine one weapon that can be used in three different roles:  Infantry rifle; SAW/automatic rifle; DMR/sniper rifle.

However, under the arms room concept, a Marine would be issued one of three different weapons, as required by the mission.  For example, a Marine might be equipped with the M4A1 carbine when functioning as a rifleman, or the M249 machine gun when serving as automatic rifleman, or the M110A1 sniper rifle when assigned as squad marksman.

Gr1ff1th

28-Jan

Seconding this, You'd think by now we'd have real information from any of the stakeholders whether the most promising entry and 1/3rd of the conpetition had dropped out or been disqualified

smg762

29-Jan

Random question here....would copper or brass make a good material for the core of AP bullets?

graylion

29-Jan

I thought Textron were out?

gatnerd

29-Jan

We’ve had multiple blogs cite anonymous sources that Textron is out, and TV mentioned they were 1 of 2 remaining contenders, but we’ve not had Official word from either the Army or Textron tgat they are out.

stancrist

29-Jan

As gatnerd said, there has been no official confirmation that Textron is out of the competition.

Also, the fact that SIG and TV are marketing semi-auto versions of their NGSW rifles to the public -- before a winner has been announced -- makes me think they are sure that they have lost.

• Edited 29 January 2022 21:58  by  stancrist
poliorcetes

30-Jan

We say "cuando el río suena, agua lleva" (When the river makes sounds is because it is still flowing -- in most of USA, a dried river is a very strange event, I guess). Since a number of sources are taking for granted that Textron is out... is it because it is, or because there is a dominant narrative forged and nurture somewhere?

What I don't understand is that if chamber alignment problem was not solved after 20 years, how they even presented the system? Brand damaging can be really harmful...

poliorcetes

30-Jan

Yes, but Caseless ammo never achieved enough TRL. CT achieved TRL 7 in 2012. I cannot infer any unsurmountable blockage from an authoritative source such as this: https://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/ARES-Research-Report-No.-7-Cased-Telescoped-Ammunition.pdf