gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 522816 views.
stancrist

27-Jul

gatnerd said:

In the comments, Eric of SSD mentions that the 6.8 projectiles are being harsh on the Lancer mags, which may be a reason for this. Although how they would be worse than M855A1, or how relatively soft steel would be much better against Hardened steel / Tunsgten, is an open question.

Other possible reasons for SIG developing in-house magazine production:

- Eliminate reliance on Lancer.

- Increase SIG profits.

gatnerd

28-Jul

Oh, those are absolute factors to bring manufacturing in-house, and are totally legit.

But, whats very odd here is the choice of steel for the in-house 6.8 mags.

-Polymer mags are much easier to mass manufacture and are cheaper to produce compared to steel mags (so higher profit margin for SIG)

-Polymer is much lighter and is what most modern rifle mags are made of

-Magpul Gen 3 mags have already shown a 100% polymer mag works well with EPR when designed for it

EmericD

28-Jul

Maybe things doesn't scale up / down so easily.

Maybe a polymer mag that is OK with a 12 g cartridge and an impulse of 6 N.s, will struggle to maintain the same level of performance with a round nearly twice as heavy and the increased impulse & recoil velocity?

The M80A1 is mainly used in guns that don't have polymer mags.

gatnerd

28-Jul

EmericD said:

The M80A1 is mainly used in guns that don't have polymer mags

The Armys new squad DMR CSASS uses a polymer mag; I havent heard that it will use special match ammo so I assume it would use M80A1?

EmericD

28-Jul

gatnerd said:

The Armys new squad DMR CSASS uses a polymer mag; I havent heard that it will use special match ammo so I assume it would use M80A1?

Or maybe M118LR?

stancrist

28-Jul

gatnerd said:

Looks like they use M118LR.  Note 0:10-0:20 in https://youtu.be/meIJgWZ-CTM?t=10

Also:  "SIG Sauer initially developed a ballistic drop compensating (BDC) reticle for the M80A1 round at the Army's request...  Later, the Army requested (and now issues) a BDC reticle developed for M118LR..."  SIG Sauer Tango6T 1-6x24mm Review - Guns and Ammo

Refleks

28-Jul

Why not carbon fiber for links? Should have advantages in strength, heat resistance and compactness over plastic

RovingPedant

28-Jul

Refleks said...

Why not carbon fiber for links? Should have advantages in strength, heat resistance and compactness over plastic

More difficult to produce? Plus any application described as "carbon fiber" is almost certainly "Carbon fiber reinforced plastic" so you'd have to either find a way to run continuous fiber around the desired shape and then fill with the polymer matrix or find a way to inject a short-fiber filled polymer into a mould. You'd still be limited by the properties of the matrix.

EmericD

29-Jul

Thank you for the link!

I was wondering if the M110A1 was using a fluted chamber, and the answer is "yes". All in all, it seems that the M110A1 is a much better DMR than the G28.

roguetechie

29-Jul

The Ukrainians have poly links that can stand up to 10 reuses...

You could also do chopped carbon fiber links I suppose but it's probably overkill.