gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 523182 views.
stancrist

28-Jul

gatnerd said:

The Armys new squad DMR CSASS uses a polymer mag; I havent heard that it will use special match ammo so I assume it would use M80A1?

Looks like they use M118LR.  Note 0:10-0:20 in https://youtu.be/meIJgWZ-CTM?t=10

Also:  "SIG Sauer initially developed a ballistic drop compensating (BDC) reticle for the M80A1 round at the Army's request...  Later, the Army requested (and now issues) a BDC reticle developed for M118LR..."  SIG Sauer Tango6T 1-6x24mm Review - Guns and Ammo

Refleks

28-Jul

Why not carbon fiber for links? Should have advantages in strength, heat resistance and compactness over plastic

RovingPedant

28-Jul

Refleks said...

Why not carbon fiber for links? Should have advantages in strength, heat resistance and compactness over plastic

More difficult to produce? Plus any application described as "carbon fiber" is almost certainly "Carbon fiber reinforced plastic" so you'd have to either find a way to run continuous fiber around the desired shape and then fill with the polymer matrix or find a way to inject a short-fiber filled polymer into a mould. You'd still be limited by the properties of the matrix.

EmericD

29-Jul

Thank you for the link!

I was wondering if the M110A1 was using a fluted chamber, and the answer is "yes". All in all, it seems that the M110A1 is a much better DMR than the G28.

roguetechie

29-Jul

The Ukrainians have poly links that can stand up to 10 reuses...

You could also do chopped carbon fiber links I suppose but it's probably overkill.

gatnerd

30-Jul

Lancer 20rd 7.62 polymer mag = 6.4oz
SCAR 17 steel mag = 8.6oz
--> Across a 7x mag loadout, steel mags would add +15.4oz/0.9625lbs to the loadout compared to the Lancer mags.

Not great, not terrible. 

Mr. T (MrT4)

30-Jul

Note that in just about every reliability upgrade program we have seen in the past decade's, steel mags were just about the first item on the menu , while i am certain poly mags will come along in the future .

The issue is often any backwards compatibility. If it needs to fit SR25 ,AR10 etc it limits box size to 60's magwell , if it doesnt need compatitiblty its just a question of sizing the magwell to make poly mags work 

gatnerd

31-Jul

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

The issue is often any backwards compatibility. If it needs to fit SR25 ,AR10 etc it limits box size to 60's magwell , if it doesnt need compatitiblty its just a question of sizing the magwell to make poly mags work

Well thats whats weird here: The MCX and then the NGSW SPEAR were designed with a magwell sized for polymer mags, as thats all they've ever been used with until the development of this steel mag. 

The weights not the end of the world, its just weird to me. 

gatnerd

1-Sep

This is not so much NGSW specific, but rather related to the Armor vs AP balance.

Buffman recently shared this new armor plate, marketed as ‘Level IV+’ specifically rated for Tungsten AP.

As 6.8AP advances toward fielding, I think we will see more Tungsten optimized armors developed. Given the moderate weight of this plate, there’s room to grow for even more protection.

https://www.adeptarmor.com/product/rf3-armor-plate/