gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 547484 views.
gatnerd

5-Oct

Australia working on a 6.8. Cartridge described as a '6.8x51 high pressure conventional case.'

https://soldiersystems.net/2022/10/04/land-forces-22-thales-6-8-x-51mm-prototypes/

A rather lovely AUG type rifle but with more 21st century rails and new charging handle configuration:

And an obligatory AR10 type rifle option:

Apsyda

6-Oct

It'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

The Australians might be the most anti-Chinese group around, giving some legs to any attempted military firearms upgrade programs (whether the 6.8Wundermagnum is one set aside for now), but they're also not the types to dump money into the army either.

Regardless the UberAUG mockup is a fairly sweet looking sci-fi blaster.

autogun

7-Oct

A few years ago I was invited to visit Steyr's Austrian HQ to give a presentation on various small-arms issues (followed by burning through some ammo, of course!). I mentioned that rather than producing yet another conventional 5.56mm carbine in the RS556, it might have been better to put the development money into a scaled-up AUG, initially in 7.62x51. The reasoning being that many armies were interested in adding 7.62mm rifles to the squad, and it would be a valuable sales point to be able to offer matching 5.56mm and 7.62mm rifles of similar design and handling (as FN did with the SCAR), simplifying training etc.

(I suspect that part of the reason the Kiwis dropped the AUG in favour of the LMT carbine may have been that they already had the 7.62 mm LMT DMW in service).

• Edited 07 October 2022 6:38  by  autogun
stancrist

7-Oct

autogun said:

I suspect that part of the reason the Kiwis dropped the AUG in favour of the LMT carbine may have been that they already had the 7.62 mm LMT DMW in service

That seems very plausible.  As you observed, there is some logic in having the marksman rifle be of similar design and handling as the standard individual weapon.

On the other hand, some armies apparently think it doesn't really matter enough to go to the trouble and expense of replacing the IW with one similar to the DMR.  grin

autogun

8-Oct

stancrist said:

On the other hand, some armies apparently think it doesn't really matter enough to go to the trouble and expense of replacing the IW with one similar to the DMR.  

Well, the British Army has been waiting (for what seems like forever) for the development of a new US Army rifle before acquiring any new IW, so they keep on tweaking the old SA80....

Msg 7519.2940 deleted
Farmplinker

8-Oct

Buy M4A1s. That's the only way the M5 will get adopted! (Not that adopting the M5 is a good idea....)

stancrist

17-Oct

Apsyda said:

It'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

Will it go anywhere?  Well, let's see.

US Army adopts the 9mm SIG P320.

The ADF adopts the 9mm SIG P320.

SOCOM adopts a SIG MCX variant in .300 BLK.

The ADF adopts a SIG MCX variant in .300 BLK.

US Army adopts the SIG MCX Spear in 6.8x51.

If the ADF adopts a 6.8x51 rifle, my money is on it being the SIG MCX Spear.

• Edited 17 October 2022 6:26  by  stancrist