gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 830422 views.
stancrist

3-Nov

A couple of NGSW photos I don't recall seeing previously:

EmericD

3-Nov

stancrist said:

A couple of NGSW photos I don't recall seeing previously:

The US Army received their first 12 rifles for the production Lot Acceptance Test, and they plan to have their first unit fully equiped with the M7+M157 by march 2024.

stancrist

3-Nov

Cool.  It will be interesting to learn what the troops think of the weapons.

I am also very curious to see how many spare magazines will be carried.

nincomp

6-Nov

Has anyone heard anything lately about development or revision of the 6.8 True Velocity Composite round?  I just checked on the SAAMI site and the drawing for that cartridge has this printed over it:

"THIS CARTRIDGE IS BEING REVISED

DO NOT USE FOR FABRICATION"

EmericD

7-Nov

smg762 said:

asssuming 80k pressures, what would be the ME (*ft lbs) of 556?

Around 2100 J out of a 20" barrel.

gatnerd

22-Nov

A discussion from Small Arms Solutions (great channel in general) about his thoughts on the NGSW. 

His opinion closely mirrors our discussion here over the years. Namely

-that this is a return to the M14 in terms of weight and reduced firepower,

-that even with the new scope we're unlikely to see the average soldier making hits at 600m+; most rifle fights will likely be within ~100m or less, as seen in Ukraine 

-The XM250 LMG is pretty cool but concerned about barrel life

-He predicts the M4 will remain in service (possibly with upgrades) for another 20-30yrs once the realities of carrying/using the XM7 become apparent

The last point harkens back to post 1 of this thread, on the wisdom of fielding a "M4A2" upgraded M4 now while the science and practicalities of NGSW are hammered out...

stancrist

22-Nov

Jeez, that was the most irritating and emotionally exhausting video I have ever watched.  He mumbles indistinctly, running his slurred words together so incoherently that I had to keep backing up and viewing portions again in order to discern what he was saying.  confounded

I have no idea if he is right about how long the M4 will remain the standard service rifle, but his comment about the 6x45mm is wrong.  The 6x45 was only intended for a SAW.  It was the 7.62x51 M14 that was meant to be a "one rifle to do it all" individual weapon.

Regarding your final remark, I question the wisdom of fielding a "M4A2" upgraded M4 now while the science and practicalities of NGSW are hammered out.  I think that would be a waste of time and money.  IMO, an M4A2 would only make sense if the M7 is cancelled.

gatnerd

23-Nov

stancrist said:

Regarding your final remark, I question the wisdom of fielding a "M4A2" upgraded M4 now while the science and practicalities of NGSW are hammered out.  I think that would be a waste of time and money.  IMO, an M4A2 would only make sense if the M7 is cancelled

It's a relatively low cost upgrade (as far as US military programs go) and ensures an off the shelf M4A2 is ready and there should the M7 fail / be canceled / be further delayed. Which is pretty much in keeping with nearly every past US small arms modernization, and really a good possibility given how heavy and Battle Rifle M14 2.0 the NGSW is.

stancrist

23-Nov

While I do agree with your second sentence, I do not see any real need to field M4A2 before M7 is cancelled.

If M7 is fully fielded and stays in service, M4A2 would not be needed and its funding better spent elsewhere.

• Edited 23 November 2023 14:34  by  stancrist
farmplinker2

24-Nov

I wouldn't be surprised if after the M7 is fielded, a lot of users want M4A1s back. Engineers and weapons crews especially.