autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 103678 views.
EmericD

22-Apr

OK, then:

https://www.fnherstal.com/

Save the date, May, 6, 2021.

gatnerd

22-Apr

Nice. I had suspected FN or H&K as the likely candidates, with most of my imaginary money on FN, since its been longer since they released a new product then H&K.

Fingers crossed its either a 14lb 6.5/7.62 controllable recoil optimized LMG, or a constant recoil SCAR. 

• Edited 22 April 2021 14:26  by  gatnerd
stancrist

22-Apr

LOL.  Yet another tease...

stancrist

22-Apr

The video shows closeup views of what looks to be a belt-fed (or possibly belt-fed/mag-fed) 7.62 LMG, with ventilated fore end similar to below.

gatnerd

22-Apr

Ah, I had first looked on my phone, and hadn't realized there was a promo video for the new product.

New LMG here we come. 

roguetechie

22-Apr

It's this thing or a slight evolution of it.

It's better than nothing I guess.

gatnerd

23-Apr

Is there any mention of recoil mitigation in the patent? I assume that's a drawing from a patent.

Emeric had hinted that this LMG had more in the way of bolt impact reduction then we've seen from their previous models.

roguetechie

23-Apr

I don't know yet I haven't had time to read the patents I do have for this gun but here's a link to where emeric gave us a more complete patent list quite awhile back.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/7707/41

From a patent tidyuski found it appears that one feature they've implemented is the ability to eject the last two links of a belt which would start you from a clean feed tray on a reload rather than having to clear the links yourself.

It's no slam and go belt box but it's probably going to be faster than a 249 reload.

smg762

26-Apr

I heard that they managed to get the weight of each link down to about 0.5gram, on one of the LSAT/NGSW  machineguns. that seems like a huge weight saving compared to the usual 2gram. If you could get the belt box down to about 150grams that means for 200 rounds you are only spending 250grams. 200 rounds in 556 magazines would be about 900 grams.  Thats why i wondered if a belt fed assault rifle would be a good weight saver. Or are there reliability drawbacks..?

roguetechie

26-Apr

Back In the day during the LSAT program, and before 6.8 lolcow the most powerful infantry rifle cartridge in history was mandated Kori Roberts actually pushed very hard for a slam and go belt box version of LSAT they had designed to be both the general issue rifle machine gun and infantry rifle.

Also If you look at the Czech URZ project as well as  the Russian rpl-20 slam and go 11.5 pound 5.45 belt fed and then realize that the xm235/248 SAW machine gun team way back in the late 70's to early 80's had developed a 9.5 pound slam and go 5.56 or 7.62 assault gun version that didn't wind up getting further funded... Yes, you absolutely could do it and in many ways it would put you ahead of what is being developed for ngsar.

Also consider that when milley testified before congress about the advanced body armor threat which eventually lead to ngsar, he lied by omission in not telling congress that a 5.56 version of the advap had been built tested and it could penetrate sapi grade plates too. (to what range we don't know) or at least that's what the word on the grapevine is.

I've also seen some indicators other places that it's possible to make something much closer to the 5.56 class that incorporates many of the tricks used in the ngsar ammunition that could in fact come much closer to giving you the ability to penetrate sapi grade plates to significant distance if not the actual desired 600 meters that ngsar ultimately desires. It's also possible to make said same rounds beat m80a1 for drop drift fragmentation range and etc in the same cartridge 

When you look at all these things combined, going to homogeneous all slam and go ultra light belt fed super SCHV squads is one potential route you could take yes.

Is it the best approach?

Probably not, but yes you COULD do it.