gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW evaluation update   Small Arms <20mm

Started 31/7/20 by autogun; 16883 views.
roguetechie

20/8/20

Yes. We're very much on the same page.

We already know sub 25kg 50 bmg belt feds are possible too since there were guns built in the mid 40's by one guy that ranged between 31 and 48 pounds with cyclic rates up to over 1000 rpm and as low as 350 rpm.

Assuming that you're modernizing the ammunition anyway, there are several things you could do to help compensate for the idiosyncrasies of such soft recoil action designs.

Ultimately and for many other reasons beyond this, I think that this is the right course of action and should be pursued.

graylion

21/8/20

I think we need to add 30x113 into the conversation here, which seems to be in discussion for replacing .50 for vehicle mounted roles.

Red7272

21/8/20

graylion said:

I think we need to add 30x113 into the conversation here, which seems to be in discussion for replacing .50 for vehicle mounted roles.

Only the most delusional see it as a replacement for anything. It's 5 times as powerful and no amount of marketing will make it suitable for a pintle mount.  Scaling the .338 LMG up to .50 BMG is a much more practical solution for infantry portable and pintle mounted weapons. 

roguetechie

21/8/20

That and there's the whole fact that you'd need to anchor the pintle into the ground with a few thousand pounds of ballast and a generator to power the gun and feed system.

In reply toRe: msg 62
Mr. T (MrT4)

21/8/20

Wonder what the barrel length is on the .338 NM MG 

I once had an unpleasant experience of testing a sniper rifle prototype with a short 14 or 16 in ( not quite sure as it was 6-7y ago) barrel for use as handy Anti VBIED rifle in .338 LM and that thing was mean  , extremely unpleasant to shot, you felt the muzzle blast trough your facial bones and teeth. So much so that muzzle brake was quickly discarded  . 

Farmplinker

21/8/20

I keep telling my buddy with a .338 LM he needs a suppressor.

QuintusO

21/8/20

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

Wonder what the barrel length is on the .338 NM MG 

24 inches.

In reply toRe: msg 73
poliorcetes

9/10/20

No smuzzle!!!

EmericD

9/10/20

poliorcetes said:

No new supressor. But look at the recoil

And the heat!

After 20 rounds, there's smoke everywhere.