autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Stryker 30 mm vs 105 mm?    Army Guns 20+mm

Started 29-Sep by autogun; 3259 views.
autogun

29-Sep

A interesting item on the 30 mm gunned Stryker, with the following comment:

"...the Mobile Gun System (MGS) variant, the M1128, which mounts a 105mm gun and was intended as an intimate infantry support platform. The MGS has had a troubled history since its combat debut in Iraq in 2007. With the implementation of the Dragoon with the Kongsberg MCT-30 turret and XM813 there is an “overlapping capabilities against the original set of requirements [for the MGS]… it’s possible that in that re-examination, the Army could select another type of capability besides the direct fire 105mm cannon."

So, what might that be? Missiles?

RovingPedant

29-Sep

120mm mortar in NEMO turret? They’ve been testing it.

autogun

29-Sep

That could be an interesting and versatile alternative.

Farmplinker

29-Sep

I think I saw something about mounting Javelins on the RWS. How much was wishful thinking and how much was actually going to get done, I don't know.

roguetechie

29-Sep

Jav's on the 30mm system are definitely coming and it may be doable to mount them up to newer smaller RWS Setups too.

jxexqx

29-Sep

Martlet / LMM would seem like a good idea. Three guidance modes, light weight, low-ish cost and based on proven tech.

graylion

2-Oct

I still think NEMO/AMOS could be the most versatile infantry support system. Especially if adding cannister and Strix

Red7272

2-Oct

graylion said:

I still think NEMO/AMOS could be the most versatile infantry support system. Especially if adding cannister and Strix

And yet absolutely no one uses them for that. Being a deathtrap when penetrated is something of a downside. As has been done to death, a fire support vehicle for infantry needs significant armour and a ADS. All the other things like wall breaching are less critical but the ability to take an RPG 29 on the nose is the minimum level of protection required. 

graylion

2-Oct

Red7272 said:

graylion said: I still think NEMO/AMOS could be the most versatile infantry support system. Especially if adding cannister and Strix And yet absolutely no one uses them for that. Being a deathtrap when penetrated is something of a downside. As has been done to death, a fire support vehicle for infantry needs significant armour and a ADS. All the other things like wall breaching are less critical but the ability to take an RPG 29 on the nose is the minimum level of protection required.

So armour the turret some more? This is not inherent in the gun system?

RovingPedant

2-Oct

Red7272 said...

And yet absolutely no one uses them for that. Being a deathtrap when penetrated is something of a downside. As has been done to death, a fire support vehicle for infantry needs significant armour and a ADS. All the other things like wall breaching are less critical but the ability to take an RPG 29 on the nose is the minimum level of protection required. 

Sound like a difference in definition of what infantry support entails. 

Taking a SP mortar into RPG range does not sound wise. The mortar comprehensively outranges the RPG, so why play to your enemy’s strength?