gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

PDW again   Small Arms <20mm

Started 20/12/20 by DavidPawley; 98544 views.
graylion

11/2/21

After lots of chinwagging the Elbonian Army Staff decided to go with the Boberg loading principle, but commissions a second, conventional design to mitigate the risk of failure. It is also agreed to specify a red dot sight as standard.

This would appear the gun mostly done, am I missing anything?

stancrist

11/2/21

Nothing else comes to mind.

graylion

12/2/21

So, to summarise:

• looks like a giant pistol
  • Magazine is P90 style and on top
  • telescoping shoulder stock
  • Boberg "bullpup" operating mechanism
  • closed bolt (open bolt is not really feasible with Boberg operation)
  • roller delayed blowback
  • red dot sight
  • skeleton holster or sling (I am trying to imagine the commentary if somebody chooses to carry it in an appendix carry)
  • 4 way selector for burst mode

Just occurred to me what rate of fire? 800 rpm? Slower? Faster?

stancrist

12/2/21

graylion said:

what rate of fire? 800 rpm? Slower? Faster?

Yes, definitely one of those.   ;^)

graylion

12/2/21

stancrist said:

graylion said: what rate of fire? 800 rpm? Slower? Faster? Yes, definitely one of those.   ;^)

766 it is so ;o)

• Edited 12 February 2021 21:12  by  graylion
In reply toRe: msg 250
graylion

13/2/21

graylion said:

looks like a giant pistol Magazine is P90 style and on top telescoping shoulder stock Boberg "bullpup" operating mechanism closed bolt (open bolt is not really feasible with Boberg operation) roller delayed blowback red dot sight skeleton holster or sling (I am trying to imagine the commentary if somebody chooses to carry it in an appendix carry) 4 way selector for burst mode

The Boberg mechanism increases the barrel length by a cartridge length, so we are looking at a 11" barrel length

In reply toRe: msg 253
graylion

13/2/21

And I just had another idea: metal stamped gun or plastic? Same for mags? Metal mags have thinner walls I believe?

• Edited 13 February 2021 14:20  by  graylion
tidusyuki

14/2/21

Plastics are the trend nowadays. Even for mags.

Metals are thinner but it has some problems like it could be easily dent and will have some reliability issues.

In reply toRe: msg 254
graylion

15/2/21

So next is the cartridge. I am thinking a polymer cartridge, running @ around 500 MPa - ca 72kPsI. The bullet I am thinking a spitzer. tungsten core with aluminium body, and a polymer film in between for easier separation. Bear with me a bit while I work out which calibre would appear to work best

stancrist

15/2/21

graylion said:

The bullet I am thinking a spitzer. tungsten core with aluminium body, and a polymer film in between for easier separation.

If "body" refers to the jacket, I doubt that aluminum is a viable option.

And wouldn't polymer film violate international law requiring bullet components be visible on x-rays?