gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

PDW again   Small Arms <20mm

Started 20/12/20 by DavidPawley; 142843 views.
nincomp

18-Oct

The SIG Rattler purchased by USSOCOM as PDW system [which] will allow Operators to have maximum firepower in a concealable weapon.’

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/10/18/ussocom-sig-rattler-reduced-signature-assault-rifle/

stancrist

18-Oct

I do not understand why both USSOCOM and the ADF are calling their MCX variants a "personal defense weapon".

It is clearly intended for use as a concealable offensive weapon.  Perhaps they just didn't like the "COW" acronym?  scream

Sig Sauer MCX Rattler

Sign Sauer video

nincomp

21-Oct

An article about  B&T USA's Universal Service Weapon chassis for the Glock small frame pistols (USW-G).  It is an aluminum chassis that provides a stock for Glock 17 and 19 pistols.  Although more bulky than the pistol itself, the folded system is reasonably compact and could be considered a "carry everywhere PDW".

The article is about it receiving a "national stock number".  

"The issuance of an NSN streamlines the product procurement process for all NATO members and partner countries, identifying all standardized material items of supply. The NSN number issued to the B&T USW-G is: 1005-12-420-1834."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2022/10/21/bt-usa-usw-g-gets-national-stock-number-nsn/

JPeelen

21-Oct

Well, the stock number, if cited correctly, is a number assigned by the German (country code 12) logistics authority. Funny that nobody mentions this, in particular not the press release text.    

stancrist

21-Oct

Somebody in the German logistics authority on the B&T payroll?  

JPeelen

22-Oct

In my opinion more likely the use of "navalized" Glocks by German special forces under the designation P9 (yes, a confusing designation considering the former use of HK P9 by police forces, among them GSG 9).

stancrist

22-Oct

JPeelen said:

more likely the use of "navalized" Glocks by German special forces under the designation P9

Yes, that makes sense.  I did not know Glocks are used by any part of German armed forces.

roguetechie

29-Oct

I have my foxtrot Mike fm15 with 11.5" barrel and it formerly had a folding brace until the ruling news picked up steam.

Now it has a shorty pistol length about 4 inch buffer tube with no adjustable stock compatibility and I've been using it as a cheek pdw.

It's essentially a rattler but $1500 cheaper and in 5.56.

With the right sling setup etc you can conceal them under coats and still outduel an akm at 300 meters with the right ammo selection ...

I guess that makes it a pdw if you squint at it real hard.

I just call it my shorty though 

Personally not a fan of 300 blowout especially since I don't have cans.

stancrist

29-Oct

roguetechie said:

I have my foxtrot Mike fm15 with 11.5" barrel and it formerly had a folding brace until the ruling news picked up steam.

Have not been keeping up with legal news since I can no longer shoot.  Is ATF ruling that pistol braces are stocks?

roguetechie said:

Personally not a fan of 300 blowout especially since I don't have cans.

Never liked .223 myself.  Longtime .30 caliber mafia, so I would prefer .300 BLK.  Plus, I really like long-ogive bullets.

roguetechie

30-Oct

Short version is yes ...

Longer version is they're making "registration amnesty" noises that I'm not ok with dealing with, so I've just gotten rid of the brace and installed a picatinny to buffer tube adapter and put a 4" pistol tube with no interface for a stock to mount to.

The extra 4.25 inches doesn't affect my use case since with the cheek shooting technique, which I'm taking to quite well, combined with holosun paralow circle dot and flip to side magnifier I'm still more than capable of center mass shooting to 300 meters even on the move.

I'm gonna be swapping out to a holosun hs510c or hs512c in order to get a bigger window along with a holosun specific magnifier purely so I don't have to get my head optic alignment quite as exactly, but even as is it's extremely serviceable.

I do wish someone made a slightly lower height over bore flip to side but that's just a minor quibble and affects conceal ability to a very minor degree.

I have also went to a sling by the demonstrated concepts cheek shooting guy to slim the gun down and may also be going to a very short linear comp type muzzle device to shorten the gun a little more but haven't decided yet.

The other mod I'm putting on basically all my first line guns is sig's fairly newish mlok bayonet mount that doubles as an extremely good hand/barrier stop.

As a "pdw" it's a little more unwieldy than desirable but hangs nicely under my goretex and other winter jackets.

There will come a point after the brace ruling comes out where I'll likely be replacing the pistol tube with a not stock cheek rest that's 2-2.5 inches long and maybe has adjustable cheek piece... I have a 3d printer I might as well use it after all!

I still love the gun and it's still immensely useful no matter how frustrating this is.

As far as you being a 30 cal guy, I do understand that and there's a degree to which I agree.

However in the current year with current ammunition selections I have this gun matched with ammo that will more than do what I need (to include violently fragmenting to well past 230 meters)