autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

açcuracy of tank guns   General Military Discussion

Started 2-Jan by smg762; 3781 views.
RovingPedant

7-Jan

I’ve heard it a few times but usually associated with the Bren rather than the BAR.

I don’t understand why anyone would desire a less accurate machine gun. If you find your grouping is too tight for your taste it’s very easy to loosen your grip and increase it.The same holds true for mounted guns. It isn’t difficult to loosen a mount to increase dispersion but you’ll never achieve a tight group with a gun that rattles around like a dried pea in a tumble dryer.

Even more the case on a powered mount. You can have the gun on a rigid mount and use the fire control to introduce a dispersion pattern, either random or systematic.

TonyDiG

7-Jan

RovingPedant said...

I’ve heard it a few times but usually associated with the Bren rather than the BAR.

I don’t understand why anyone would desire a less accurate machine gun. If you find your grouping is too tight for your taste it’s very easy to loosen your grip and increase it.The same holds true for mounted guns. It isn’t difficult to loosen a mount to increase dispersion but you’ll never achieve a tight group with a gun that rattles around like a dried pea in a tumble dryer.

Even more the case on a powered mount. You can have the gun on a rigid mount and use the fire control to introduce a dispersion pattern, either random or systematic.

An extreme case, but the Spanish Meroka CIWS uses a dozen 20 mm guns with the barrels slightly skewed to achieve a larger lethal area.

Mr. T (MrT4)

7-Jan

When your fire control/shooter is unable to hit the target dead on you are better of with some dispersion so that one of those rounds eventually makes contact with the target  , even more so in weapons like CIWS that have very high rates of fire , 

End of the day fragmenting rounds like AHEAD is doing the same generating dispersion that is way more than 1mill at 1000m 

Goalkeeper advertising sub 1mil 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGrJnxdDbO8

RovingPedant

7-Jan

Yes, but it’s better to induce that dispersion from the mount with an accurate gun than try to make the gun inaccurate

nincomp

7-Jan

smg762 said...

Right.  I heard that the BAR sometimes had complaints of being too accurate,  the users wishing for more dispersion in ww2

I put that in the same category as "the M2 carbine can't kill a man wearing a winter jacket."  Translated: "I missed."

autogun

8-Jan

During WW2 the British Army used a variety of equipment including the 7.9 mm BESA and .30 Browning in coaxial AFV mountings. I do recall reading that the BESA was regarded as exceptionally accurate, the Browning much less so. 

graylion

14-Jan

TonyDiG said:

An extreme case, but the Spanish Meroka CIWS uses a dozen 20 mm guns with the barrels slightly skewed to achieve a larger lethal area.

So fundamentally a serial shotgun.

taschoene

14-Jan

Repeating volley gun, more like.

JesseH1234

22-Jan

I am curious about the original question myself.  I am also curious as to how effective the gun stabilization actually is while moving, what effect it has on accuracy etc.  I remember reading SOMEWHERE that it is still SOP for tank units of 2 or more to use fire and movement, firing from the halt then moving under cover of teammates.  No idea how accurate that is.  I know there's a couple former tankers here so......

Red7272

22-Jan

JesseH1234 said:

I am curious about the original question myself.  I am also curious as to how effective the gun stabilization actually is while moving, what effect it has on accuracy etc.  I remember reading SOMEWHERE that it is still SOP for tank units of 2 or more to use fire and movement, firing from the halt then moving under cover of teammates.  No idea how accurate that is.  I know there's a couple former tankers here so......

Try google.