autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Foresight War Revisited: AFVs   Novel: The Foresight War

Started 16-Feb by autogun; 24489 views.
autogun

25-Apr

roguetechie said:

It was even fun thinking about how Pedersen might get to see the archived copy of the small arms review article about him and the way he revolutionized tolerancing and dimensioning parts giving the allies a definitive leg up on the axis through brute force production of interchangeable components.

I have to point out that the British had interchangeable small-arms parts in WW1. When they tried to place orders for rifles with US companies they discovered that not only could they not get compatible parts from them, but the three US firms they worked with couldn't manage to make their parts interchangeable between themselves. The end result was three new sub-designations for rifles made by the three companies...

Martin2515

25-Apr

To be fair that was in part due to either incomplete or faulty drawings provided by the British. Britain approached BSA to build P14's and they wanted non of it.

Farmplinker

26-Apr

Could have been worse; the Russians sent gauges for Mosins  they'd been using since 1892. Unsurprisingly, the rifles when checked with new gauges were out of spec.

larrikin2

26-Apr

Also the "Enfield Inch", which wasn't exactly a standard inch.

Australia had problems starting manufacture of SMLEs at Lithgow similar reasons.

roguetechie

27-Apr

Shhh... Tony is telling us how the British did everything first and better.

It doesn't matter if it's not actually true or that I was specifically talking about how Pedersen did amazing things for US INDUSTRY, what matters is it was apparently threatening to this idea that the Brits did everything first and better and that the Brits couldn't have possibly done better in world war 2 even if they had a TIME TRAVELER

QuintusO

27-Apr

The typical British derangement.

In reply toRe: msg 226
JPeelen

27-Apr

I am so glad Americans are totally free of any derangement we lowly Europeans do suffer.

roguetechie

27-Apr

Oh we have our own derangements, we just admit ours.

roguetechie

27-Apr

P.s. You know... You could have gotten away with directing that comment against most Americans, hell even most of the Americans on this forum even!

... But you had to direct it at me.

The guy who nonstop shit talks the ineptitude and failings of american gun companies and procurement...

Like... Really?!

If your goal was to point out stunning hypocrisy you very much accomplished that.

However if your goal was to point out stunning hypocrisy that wasn't your own, oh holy shit did you fuck that up about as bad as you possibly could.

JPeelen

28-Apr

Well, I entered ALL in the "To:" field, not intending to direct my remark at any specific person.

The previous forum software in this case clearly showed ALL as the recipient. I was not aware that the current software leaves the recipient field blank. This let you assume it was directed at you personally. It was not. Readers of this forum will know that I have criticized German matters (MG5, for example) often enough on this forum.