autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UK military spending review   General Military Discussion

Started 13-Mar by autogun; 4664 views.
DavidPawley

1-Jul

AJAX should be cancelled, it’s been a train wreck since TRACER.https://twitter.com/nicholadrummond/status/1410509736433401856?s=20

autogun

2-Jul

I regard the UK's record (and probably other nations too, but I'm less familiar with them) of consistent failure in acquiring new equipment with a kind of horrified fascination.

I have a suspicion that with highly complex new systems, so many different firms get involved that there is no-one who has a overall grip of what is going on, or is held accountable when it fails.

I can understand problems occurring with cutting-edge, high tech and therefore high risk projects, but a medium-weight tracked AFV? How can anyone mess that up so badly, then keep carrying on with it as if everything's OK?

Farmplinker

2-Jul

What's the one variant of Praeto's Law? 

80% of the cost comes from the last 20% of performance. For a while, people have been demanding that last little bit of performance, and then wonder why they can't afford it.

hobbes154

6-Jul

Working for a different country's government in a totally different field, this is depressingly familiar.

When I started working for a bureaucracy, I was prepared for it to be evil and/or corrupt (in fact part of me was kind of hoping for it in a voyeuristic way, and was disappointed not to find it).

What I wasn't prepared for was the total lack of respect for any kind of subject matter or technical knowledge. The only skillset that is valued is that of the generalist manager, and the only way to move up is to change jobs every few years to be well rounded. Anyone who actually knows anything about content rather than process is either from a previous generation or sacrificing promotion to do something they enjoy. In engineering terms I guess it is like trying to build a complex machine made only out of screws and bolts, or running a vehicle with only lubricant but no fuel.

From what I have seen and read from the outside military procurement and big private companies more or less work the same way. Luckily most of my jobs have been in less critical fields.

The only places you can expect competence are where there are immediate consequences for things going wrong. Big defense projects last longer than the average manager's or minister's tenure in office, so...

In reply toRe: msg 35
autogun

15-Jul

An update - everything is either fine or will be soon..... confused

• Edited 16 July 2021 5:00  by  autogun
nincomp

15-Jul

Gee, that is the most comforting post I have seen in a long time.

Of course, my first thought was  " That's nice...  I wonder what thread this is?  Oh, UK spending."  

In reply toRe: msg 36
autogun

22-Jul

In today's Financial Times:

Army's £5.5bn armoured vehicle project at risk

A £5.5bn project to build the army a state of the art armoured fighting vehicle may be scrapped after more than a decade, a defence minister has admitted. Delivery of the Ajax vehicle should have started four years ago , but trials have been halted twice after concerns that noise and vibration were damaging crews' hearing. One MP said "it's heavier than a Sherman tank. It's too small. And it's as stealthy as a Ford Transit full of spanners".

Too small? That's a new one. It's already the size of a bus and dwarfs the CVRT it's intended to replace.

There is a growing air of failure around the project. If a defence minister has gone public in doubting its future, then it's probably only a matter of time.

graylion

23-Jul

autogun said:

How can anyone mess that up so badly, then keep carrying on with it as if everything's OK?

Nimrod AEW.1. Nimrod Mk.4. To name just 2. National pride.

autogun

24-Jul

I grant you the Nimrods, but I doubt that national pride had anything to do with it. I suspect that no-one wants to bring the bad news to those at the top, so they keep their heads down and keep beavering on in the hope that someone, somewhere, will come up with some solution. In the meanwhile, they keep getting paid, and keep their fingers crossed that the inevitable finger of blame will point to someone else (if anyone at all).