autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

.375 Swiss   Small Arms <20mm

Started 25-Mar by Mr. T (MrT4); 532 views.
Mr. T (MrT4)

25-Mar

It  seems punching through body armor at 600+ M  might be one of the drivers of this caliber that is meant as a service round compatible with ,338LM rifles , just changing the barrel

https://www.edrmagazine.eu/ruag-ammotec-375-swiss-p-improved-performance-made-easy

Interesting bullet on the picts ,seems like oldfashioned FMJ with metal ball to stop the lead flow into the tip

gatnerd

25-Mar

Thats cool.

Curious how they are able to achieve superior ballistics given that they haven't increased the bullets Ogive length. 

Claim of defeating SK4 (german level IV?) at 600m is impressive, given the Chinese Level IV plate was stopping 250gr AP at 200yd. 

EmericD

25-Mar

gatnerd said:

Curious how they are able to achieve superior ballistics given that they haven't increased the bullets Ogive length. 

The cartridge is using a sligthly bigger case diameter than the .338 Lapua, with a rebated head to use the same bolt.

Most comparison between the .375 Swiss P and the .338 Lapua Magnum are made using a 250 gr bullet (C7 of 0.315 for the Swiss P target) launched at 865 m/s for the .338, versus a 350 gr bullet (C7 of 0.375 for the SMK) launched at 865 m/s for the .375, hence the conclusion (more energy on target).

gatnerd

25-Mar

Thank you for the clarification.

Do you think its a worthwhile cartridge, especially compared to the 300gr Lapua/Norma loadings?

Mr. T (MrT4)

25-Mar

Like you mentioned i think its about making a good AP round that can fit into standard .338LM actions and magazines. The long-range performance is a bit sketchy,as they are comparing relatively mediocre .338LM bullet out of a shorter barrel than what they use for theirs.375 It will also be difficult to load any longer bullets

gatnerd

25-Mar

I'm curious how it stacks up AP wise to the 300gr .338 tungsten loads.

Awhile back Emeric had mentioned that its not just the mass, but really the length of the penetrator, that really contributes to the penetration. Since they haven't increased the ogive length, I imagine their ~350gr Tungsten penetrator is the same length as the 300gr Tungsten. 

In reply toRe: msg 6
Mr. T (MrT4)

26-Mar

Will see what gives once these get into the wild. they made CIP 5years ago so i would think they had time to think this over.wink