autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

FN EVOLYS   General Military Discussion

Started 23-Apr by tidusyuki; 9006 views.
In reply toRe: msg 82
EmericD

11-Jun

Well, I had the opportunity to see and fire the FN Evolys in 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm, and it seems that FN Herstal did a great job.

Basically, the 7.62 mm Evolys is lighter than the 5.56 mm Minimi, with roughly the same recoil as a 5.56 mm Mk3.

The 5.56 mm is of course even smoother.

Loading the weapon is very easy and takes around 10 seconds, it's so "foolproof" that I was able to do it with both eyes closed. Push on the loading gate to open it, take an ammo pouch and slide it under the weapon, catch the end of the belt and slam it into the loading gate (there are 3 different retention mechanism and only one need to be engaged to keep the belt), then close the loading gate and the belt is now perfectly in-line with the feeding mechanism.

The bolt and bolt carrier are interesting. The bolt have two front locking lugs and lock into the barrel extension, but the carrier have an unusually long travel before starting to rotate the bolt (with a very shallow cam angle), so unlocking occurs at a much later step than other common mechanisms (so you can use a suppressor without being washed by combustion gases). The bolt is using dual spring-loaded ejectors, the hydraulic buffer is located on the bolt carrier and functioning was of course flawless.

renatohm

11-Jun

That's very interesting.

What about the accuracy? Did you have the chance to test it?

gatnerd

12-Jun

EmericD said:

Well, I had the opportunity to see and fire the FN Evolys in 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm, and it seems that FN Herstal did a great job. Basically, the 7.62 mm Evolys is lighter than the 5.56 mm Minimi, with roughly the same recoil as a 5.56 mm Mk3. The 5.56 mm is of course even smoother. Loading the weapon is very easy and takes around 10 seconds, it's so "foolproof" that I was able to do it with both eyes closed. Push on the loading gate to open it, take an ammo pouch and slide it under the weapon, catch the end of the belt and slam it into the loading gate (there are 3 different retention mechanism and only one need to be engaged to keep the belt), then close the loading gate and the belt is now perfectly in-line with the feeding mechanism.

Awesome, thanks for the report. That sounds really promising; sounds like they did well with recoil and exceptional with regards to improving reload speed/simplicity. 

Curious as well if you managed to test accuracy; the claim of 1.5-2.5 MOA from SoldierSystems, if true, would really be phenomenal.

EmericD

12-Jun

renatohm said:

What about the accuracy? Did you have the chance to test it?

More or less.

I started firing the gun offhand and semi-auto to gain familiarity, before firing full-auto. Regarding the accuracy claim, I'm not a good shooter by any records so my results can't be used to prove anything. Just to gives you an idea, I was happy to land 10 shots into a 5 x 5 cm square at 100 m with the SCAR-H PR, so I was not expecting even 2 MoA accuracy with an open-bolt platform, firing balls and tracers! Something like 4-5 MoA was all I could get, even if the trigger pull was "pretty good" for a MG (the typical trigger pull on a MG is generally very long, 10-12 lbs and squishy, this one was only very long).

poliorcetes

12-Jun

Thanks for your report, Emeric.

How recoil is reduced?

EmericD

12-Jun

poliorcetes said:

How recoil is reduced?

There is a small hydraulic buffer (a piston, 2 chambers, and oil flowing from one chamber to the other) on the bolt carrier, so instead of impacting the rear wall, the carrier is smoothly put to stop without the need for the very long travel of the Ultimax-100 "constant recoil".

renatohm

12-Jun

4 to 5 MOA in the hands of an untrained shooter seems to be more than enough for a machine gun!

Thanks for the info!

Farmplinker

13-Jun

Emeric, I bet there were times FN was wondering if they could get a 10 shot 2 MOA group from world champion marksmen with a SCAR-H PR!

PHN

14-Jun

Very interesting report. Photos I've seen of the FN EVOLYS seem to show the sights at a great height above the bore line. Did it give this impression in the field?

njb3737

14-Jun

Excellent report thank you.

Is FN working on any further developments to the SCAR or a future replacement?