autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

ENVG-B in action   General Military Discussion

Started 28-Apr by DavidPawley; 618 views.
DavidPawley

28-Apr

Related to NGSW via IVAS;

Enhanced Night Vision Goggle- Binocular are being rolled out and they’re pretty awesome.

Seen here in some B roll via DVIDS

poliorcetes

28-Apr

Are you sure that it is a real time video imaginery and not a post-produced one? I mean, I don't realize the advantage of solarizing a video feed...

roguetechie

28-Apr

Personally I think it's good that they're currently rolling with both programs.

Having talked to some people about it, ivas seems like it could be extremely good for vehicle crews and people who stay close to vehicles while envg-b could be good for traditional light infantry.

DavidPawley

28-Apr

That’s the I2/TI fusion. The overlay of the TI is done by edge highlighting. Note that some of the troops are in concealment behind vegetation in the middle distance; the vegetation is barely visible because the thermal highlights the figures behind it.

That’s why it’s awesome.

Mustrakrakis

29-Apr

When I first heard about it, I'd been expecting something like a COTI, but better...which I suppose that it still sort of is.  I'd just underestimated how much better it would be.  That's some video game shit right there.

And now the million dollar question: is it simple enough for an E-I-owe-you-1 to operate?

roguetechie

30-Apr

Yes, they've done an extremely good job of doing integration including the radios and stuff to let everything talk to everything else.

Pretty sure that ivas and envg-b also share a lot of the same offboard assets like radios and computing stuff.

Envg-b is also capable to some degree of accepting video feeds to play in your hud etc.

When they tried this stuff the first two times with land warrior etc the technology just wasn't quite there but it is now.

poliorcetes

8-May

Thanks, David

Are you sure that there is not any computer vision capabilities involved in such edge highlighting? Do you have any articles for deeping into that?

roguetechie

9-May

From my understanding edge highlighting does involve some on board single chip machine vision enhancements. There's also a standalone combination thermal imaging and holographic reflex sight made by Steiner that does something similar.

They're not saying exactly how it's done but that's kinda the easiest way you could do it.