autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Maxim 6pdr automatic?   General Military Discussion

Started 19-May by autogun; 456 views.
autogun

19-May

A fascinating colourised video showing Hiram Maxim test-firing a couple of automatic weapons (presumably of his own design?).

The first one is just a standard MG, but the second one is an eye-opener. I have neither seen nor heard of such a large-calibre automatic cannon of that vintage.

mpopenker

19-May

Maxim Nordenfeld Co catalogue from 1891 lists a 6-pr Automatic Quick-firing gun

Walter00

19-May

Certainly demonstrates the problems of machine guns firing black powder!

taschoene

19-May

Probably pointing out the obvious here, but the "automatic" in that description refers just to the breech in a QF gun that closes automatically when a new round is inserted by hand.  The gun in the video takes that a step further with a hopper feeding rounds down into the breech without a human loader.  

Kocur_

19-May

The cannon appears automatic, but it's not. It's a only film magic.

First six shots is the same scene looped (keep looking at the hopper).

I believe that parts of the clip showing manual loading were deleted - but not entirely. If you look close, you will see Sir Hiram's left hand flashing near the breech. 

It may be the gun from the above catalogue (single-shot gun with automatic breech opening  and closing) with a hopper added to ease one-man operation - which included manual loading each cartridge. 

I believe the lowest cartridge in the hopper was pushed back, so it was right at the breech, ready to be grabbed and loaded. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
taschoene

19-May

Kocur, nicely spotted. I did not notice the round that you can see behind the hopper just above the breech.  It does seem like some slight of hand with the film was at work here.

In reply toRe: msg 6
autogun

19-May

Thank you gentlemen, I am somewhat relieved!