autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Finally a closer look on the VHS-2   General Military Discussion

Started 10-Jul by tidusyuki; 933 views.
tidusyuki

10-Jul

Edit: I was wrong stating it has 4 position selector. I assumed when Ian took the gun to the range has both 2 round burst and full auto mode. When in reality Ian brings 2 different version of VHS-2. One being the rifle submitted for police contract has 2 round burst instead of full auto.

Another interesting point is how the bcg configured for left and right ejection

stancrist

10-Jul

tidusyuki said:

Interesting to see that a bullpup has a 4 position selector.

???  I see only 3 positions on the selector.  https://youtu.be/2A-1lBWqHrw?t=131

In reply toRe: msg 3
gatnerd

10-Jul

Looks like a normal selector:

JPeelen

11-Jul

It is a normal [ambidextrous] selector. Ian McCollum explains and demonstrates it in his second video. The rifle version tested by the French army has it.

On the other hand, the short barrel version made to French police requirements has a 2-shot burst position, but seemingly no full auto position.

• Edited 11 July 2021 9:40  by  JPeelen
EmericD

11-Jul

Spot on.

The 16" barrel version shown in the video (safe - semi - 2rds burst) was proposed for a police-contract (the G36 win), when the 19" version (safe - semi - full auto) was proposed for the AIF program.

I can also confirm that the rifle (A50167) Ian used in this video was part of the rifles we used during the evaluation phase of the AIF program, this one in particular was used to evaluate "support and maintenance" time and cost.

And as explain in this video, the VHS-F2 "Oncille" performed very well during this competition.

poliorcetes

11-Jul

Emeric, could you summarize why 416 win against this Croatian rifle? Merçi in advance!

Farmplinker

11-Jul

HK had better lawyers, I'd guess.

EmericD

12-Jul

poliorcetes said:

Emeric, could you summarize why 416 win against this Croatian rifle? Merçi in advance!

The short version of a long answer is: "for a 0.40€ O-ring".

In Ian's video (around 10:40), you could see that the cross pin retaining the firing pin is "locked" in place by a o-ring, and sometimes during heavy firing this cross pin was just sliding out of the bolt carrier, inducing failures to feed.

The other reason was that the HS offering was more expensive than the HK offering.

tidusyuki

12-Jul

Corrected by Mr. Jpeelen and EmericD. Thanks!
I've edited the post as well.