gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Alternative Individual Weapon (AIW) System Procurement    Small Arms <20mm

Started 27-Jul by radish293; 923 views.
radish293

27-Jul

Procurement for new UK 5.56 rifle with suppressor and optic. Must be non Bullpup. 
https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/Notice/017725-2021?origin=SearchResults&p=1

humm…….

autogun

27-Jul

No surprise. British Special Forces have been using AR-pattern rifles since the 1960s, I believe. They never did adopt the SA80. It sounds as if they just want what they have now, with the latest bells and whistles.

roguetechie

27-Jul

Yeah, I applaud them for sticking with what works.

Hopefully they'll get something that's better than rack grade "milspec" and it serves them well

In reply toRe: msg 1
radish293

27-Jul

I seem to recall a similar procurement some years back which was cancelled. If I remember correctly it was called MARS. There was also a requirement for single shot version for Police use. Does anyone recall this and have any further information. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
Mr. T (MrT4)

28-Jul

They literally limited design to AR pattern ,not just no bullpups 

Kinda makes it harder for alternate designs to establish themselves on the scene when procurement literally says we want Ar15 ,This not an isolated case, but more norm than not these days.

roguetechie

28-Jul

That's a shame too. The AR is a great design and all but better can definitely be done

DavidPawley

28-Jul

They’re after replacement & expanded basis of issue for the C8SFW which were passed to RM. This isn’t a new general service weapon, it’s some new guns that are compatible with what has been limited issue for a whole new brigade plus the existing users. An AR makes perfect sense in that context.

gatnerd

29-Jul

If they're sticking with Colt Canada, their latest MRR looks really nice:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/14/colt-canada-mmr-modular-railed-rifle-m-lok/

Monolithic MLOK upper + Colt CHF barrel...such want. 

I haven't been able to find the weight listed anywhere though. 

DavidPawley

29-Jul

Well, what they can choose depends upon the offerors. Somebody would have to offer the MRR…