gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Bullpup is Dead   Small Arms <20mm

Started 5/9/21 by QuintusO; 41828 views.
Mr. T (MrT4)

28-Oct

These Ar15 familiar users could do same or better with Bullpup

It just shows typical PDW operator skill level .

ssstwitter.com_1698484416839

Watch "ssstwitter.com_1698484416839" on Streamable.

stancrist

28-Oct

Heh, heh.  I suppose that video does show typical PDW operator skill level, but I must say that most of the operators shown do not look very "AR15 familiar"...  relaxed

In reply toRe: msg 198
stancrist

1-Nov

Meme time.  grin

In reply toRe: msg 199
stancrist

1-Nov

Why are modern bullpups typically not only ugly, but also very bulky and quite ass heavy?

Early, post-WW2 bullpup rifles like the T31 and EM2 were slender, well-balanced designs.

EmericD

1-Nov

stancrist said:

Why are modern bullpups typically not only ugly, but also very bulky and quite ass heavy? Early, post-WW2 bullpup rifles like the T31 and EM2 were slender, well-balanced designs.

Maybe because you need to put your face very close to the action, and current rifles are designed to (safely) deliver large amount of automatic fire?

I imagine that the T31 was never designed to be able to shoot 200+ rounds in a few minutes, without inflicting serious burns to the shooter.

EmericD

1-Nov

stancrist said:

Meme time. grin

By the way, the FAMAS was a good gun.

The problem is that the last FAMAS was produced in 1992... and that the spare parts were bought during the '80s in order to maintain the rifles for ~20 years.

stancrist

1-Nov

EmericD said:

Maybe because you need to put your face very close to the action, and current rifles are designed to (safely) deliver large amount of automatic fire?

The EM2 was designed to (safely) deliver large amount of automatic fire, but does not have the bulbous butt and fore end of later bullpups.

Archival E.M.2 Footage: Slow Motion and Janson Doing Mag Dumps

Interested in the E.M. 2 and the rBritish bullpup rifles? Now is your chance to pre-order a copy of Headstamp Publishing's second book, "Thorneycroft to SA80...

I would love to have a bullpup configured like this:

But these?  Yuck.  No thanks.

EmericD

1-Nov

stancrist said:

The EM2 was designed to (safely) deliver large amount of automatic fire, but does not have the bulbous butt and fore end of later bullpups.

I understand your point, but in the video the EM2 is firing only 4x 20-rds magazines, and I doubt that this gun was designed to fire more than 6x 20-rds magazines in a row (or 120 rounds).

That was perfectly Ok at this time (the cook-off limit of the M16A1was also around 120-140 rounds -full auto or semi auto-) but current expectations are way higher.

gatnerd

2-Nov

stancrist said:

But these?  Yuck.  No thanks

Whats interesting about the F2000's bulk is its almost all hollow air, and could be substantially slimmed down:

Imperfect concept sketch:

In reply toRe: msg 205
Refleks

2-Nov

We are all aware a lot goes into procurement beyond just what is the "better" gun, so it isn't necessarily the case that a nation replacing a bullpup with an M4 constitutes objective proof of the superiority of the platform (I'm not taking a side here, though I don't own a bullpup), though it can be argued.

The Kel Tec RFB is delightful concept as far as bullpups go. Slim, nicely balanced, and ejects forward. Unfortunately it's a Kel Tec, with all that it entails. I wouldn't choose it over a good AR when it involves life safety, but I like the concept and if anyone ever came out with aftermarket aluminum furniture they would have my money.

• Edited 02 November 2023 6:23  by  Refleks