gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Demolitionranch tests a coilgun   General Military Discussion

Started 2-Oct by smg762; 565 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
stancrist

2-Oct

Very cool.  Brings back an old memory.  About 40 years I built a coil gun.  Nowhere near as sophisticated as the one in the Demolition Ranch video, though.  And not as powerful, either.  It launched a small steel rod only about 20 yards.

smg762

3-Oct

Apparently we are still well short of 556-esque energies but i think it could maybe be used to improve the accuracy of sabot rounds, by using magnets to 'centre' the bullet in the barrel

In reply toRe: msg 3
poliorcetes

3-Oct

a steel barrel precludes the use of any coil. Besides, I cannot figure out what you mean with "center" the bullet in the barrel

smg762

3-Oct

Well if you could somehow hold it in thin air, by a magnetic force...then it would stay concentric, meaning you only need a sabot base to create a gas seal

In reply toRe: msg 5
poliorcetes

4-Oct

It's really absurd and unfeasible. First of all, barrel is a continuous mass of steel

Second, the energy that you need to "hold in thin air" a bullet after another would require tens if not hundred of kg of equipment, batteries, etc.

third, catastrophic burst could happen for several reasons

I think that you didn't invest enough time in this concept.