gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

patent for an MP7 in 300blackout   General Military Discussion

Started 17-Oct by smg762; 3707 views.
smg762

17-Oct

Crye has a patent for a 300BLK gun with the ammo inside the grip like an uzi.

to fit the ammo they angle it 45 degrees in the grip...some of the TFB comments are skeptical about reliability

I think your better off with a 762tokarev, or a 357 SIG with HVAP 60grain bullets....

Anyway

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/10/15/pdw-crye-patent/amp/

In reply toRe: msg 1
smg762

22-Oct

No thoughts on the article? Seems like the most unusual design to come since some of Kel Tecs stuff

In reply toRe: msg 2
roguetechie

23-Oct

I have thoughts.

It's actually really interesting if it can be made to work. I do question if 300 blk is the right round for it though.

In reply toRe: msg 2
stancrist

23-Oct

My thoughts?

1.  Well, in the first place, we don't know if the novel magazine design even works, which makes any opinions on the concept rather moot.

2.  And assuming that it does work, a gun with 6-inch barrel in 5.56 NATO or 7.62 NATO (fearful) would be a very poor choice for the PDW role.

smg762

23-Oct

Most of the comments were skeptical about feeding because of friction between the rounds and the mag. Also the angled rounds make the magazine rather long.

As i said, a 762tokarev or 762FK would be better....the FK has the same energy in short barrels - 850ft lbs

roguetechie

23-Oct

I think there MIGHT be a slightly better way to do the follower these days, but yeah a 6" barrel 5.56 or 300 blk would be... Interesting.

Despite this I do think they have something here, it just probably needs it's own cartridge design or a modification of something we already have to really be worthwhile.

smg762

24-Oct

The blk has huge energy in short barrels.. 900ft lbs from a 5.5incher

762x39 would have similar energy

556...about 500ft lbs from a 5.5

but the 7.5FK has the same high energy as the Blackout in these barrels....its a far better choice

• Edited 24 October 2021 11:48  by  smg762
In reply toRe: msg 7
roguetechie

24-Oct

7.5 fk just isn't actually all that impressive of a round for one.

For two, your entire line of reasoning focuses on terminal performance metric you frankly don't understand.

Not all muzzle energy is created equal, not all projectiles are created equal, and muzzle energy only weakly correlates to real world performance at absolute best. (There's an entire universe of cases where the higher muzzle energy round performs much worse pretty much across the board)

Like I said, not all muzzle energy is created equal. 

The 7.5fk is in an entirely different class than the 300 blk and not in a good way.

smg762

25-Oct

My point was that they both have the same high energy in 6inch barrels, and that 7.5 would avoid all the crazy feeding mechanisms required of the blackout.

As the pic shows, the gun has a massively long grip...7.5 would avoid this

And the 7.5 would obviously have twice the power of 4.6 or 5.7

Im aware that the black has more BC and so on.

roguetechie

26-Oct

You're using "power" in a way that doesn't fit with actual effects in reality.

Nothing you said changes this.

Additionally, there's almost certainly at least one better way to handle the follower situation.

Beyond that the only thing I have to say Is you're still entirely missing why 300 blk would be in an entirely different class than 7.5 fk.

It's not that you haven't had the reasons why explained several times either, because you have.

"Just chambering it in 7.5 fk" defeats the purpose they were going for.