gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Desert Tech Quattro-15 Quad stack optimized AR15 Lower   Small Arms <20mm

Started 16-Jan by gatnerd; 17811 views.
gatnerd

16-Jan

Pretty neat, DT has designed a higher reliability, more compact Quad-Stack magazine for the AR15, that holds 53rd in the length of a 30rd PMAG:

It works by having a custom lower receiver that replaces the standard STANAG lower with a extra wide Quad stack magwell. This lower is compatible with all/most factory M4 / 416 etc lowers, so in theory any rifle in the AR family could be converted to the Quad lifestyle.

Full video here, hopefully a non-fb link will come soon:

New product announcement 2022: Quattro-15, Quadmag53, Trek22

Desert Tech is proud to share our newest products for 2022, the Quattro-15, and the Quadmag 53, and the Trek 22. Check our website for more information.

https://deserttech.com/quattro-15.php

Desert Tech Quattro-15

InRange is entirely viewer supported:https://www.patreon.com/inrangetvOriginally designed with the NGW project in mind, @Desert Tech has created a new quad ...

Now, I'm not sure if we'll see much use for the Quattro 15 its self. But if it does work well, I could see future rifles in future calibers developed using this system, or see Automatic Rifles like the Ultimax etc developed around a Quad stack optimized magwell. 

• Edited 16 January 2022 18:50  by  gatnerd
mpopenker

17-Jan

another marketing gimmick, IMHO

no quad-stack could be as reliable as a classic double-stack magazine, and you are losing compatibility with your existing magazine stocks

I can understand when you have a quad-stack in your rifle for initial contact, and a bunch of much more reliable 30-rounders in your pouches. But getting only 4-stacks is a bad idea, IMO

also, anyone who loaded any 4-stacker needs steel fingers or a dedicated mag loaders - take it from a guy who has only two quad-stacks for his go-to rifle, and about twenty classic 30- and 45-roundres.

stancrist

17-Jan

But, since the Quadmag53 is not as tall as a 30-round magazine, you get increased mobility.

And, since 4 Quadmags hold two more rounds than 7 30-round mags, you get to shoot more.

mpopenker

17-Jan

0.05 inch of heights is not 'increasing mobility'. And 'more shooting' with less reliability is acceptable only for plinkers

Russians invested quite a lot into development of 4-stack magazines, and our 60-rounders are far superior to anything else I saw, but even those have serious issues when handled roughly, as happens more often than not in the field.

gatnerd

17-Jan

I think the theory here is that it’s a dedicated quad stack magwell, so lacks the hard transition from 4 to 2 collumns found in many other quad mags, so hopefully will be more reliable.

Whether that actually works remains to be seen, but it’s interesting.

mpopenker

17-Jan

gatnerd said:

so lacks the hard transition from 4 to 2 collumns found in many other quad mags, so hopefully will be more reliable

you still need that transition to feed from 2 rows, so it wouldn't be any better than Russian AK-74 4-stack mags, IMHO

• Edited 17 January 2022 8:18  by  mpopenker
stancrist

17-Jan

gatnerd said:

Whether that actually works remains to be seen, but it’s interesting.

I agree, it is interesting.  And just because the Russians can't make a reliable quad-stack, doesn't necessarily mean the Quadmag53 also lacks sufficient reliability.  I'd rather wait and see the results of impartial testing.

That being said, I am more than a little skeptical, considering the false and misleading claims made by Desert Tech.  Being a mere 0.06" shorter will not give the shooter "more mobility" than standard 30-rounders.  And, although 212 rounds is technically "more shooting" than 210 rounds, the difference is far too small to be noticeable, whether in combat or plinking at tin cans.

P.S.  Note the comment @ 1:43 in https://youtu.be/Dfsvmgx2pug?t=102  "With the...Desert Tech NGSW military submission..."  What NGSW candidate used the DT Quadmag?

• Edited 17 January 2022 13:03  by  stancrist
marandreas

17-Jan

4 vs 7 seems kind of an odd comparison to me - that's one in the gun plus three ammo pouches.

I'm under the impression that four pouches is a more common loadout, so it seems 5*53=265 vs 9*30=270 would be more reasonable?

roguetechie

17-Jan

The lower also comes with an adapter block you can insert to still use normal stanag mags. They show it in the video

EmericD

17-Jan

stancrist said:

What NGSW candidate used the DT Quadmag?

I don't know if there is a relationship, but the GD RM277 used some elements of DT MDRx... but they could also refer to their NGSAR submission with the PCP .270 WSM round.