gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 183837 views.
graylion

6-Sep

marandreas said:

Oh come on, did you really fall for that obvious fake?

ooops ...

Mr. T (MrT4)

6-Sep

One of the racing tanks showed up in Ukraine 

One of 30 or T72B3 upgraded with 1130hp engine and panoramic commanders sight from a T90M prepared specificaly for 2014 Tank Biathlon  

Mr. T (MrT4)

6-Sep

2 of the 3 tanks that fell into a crevasse  including the T90M that rolled over in Ukraine 10th July seems to be back for repairs ,the one that rolled is  missing the RWS and lots of bent stuff, also interesting are the Soft pack era on the turret that  was previusly hidden by the thermal tarp

gatnerd

6-Sep

This is a fun one; a soldier has created a blend of musical beats using the percussive / mechanical sounds of different frontline weapons. 

Sort of like the next level up from the guys you see in times square playing the paint buckets as drums - here using empty Javelin tubes and AK74's.

graylion

7-Sep

Interesting interview

What Ukraine thinks of Tanks

In this video we look at an interview with a Ukrainian Tank officer talking about tank and tank combat in the Russo-Ukrainian War. The interview was released...

gatnerd

9-Sep

Heres a fun one. Hummer rolling up on a Russian occupied village; blasting away with M2 .50, gunner runs out of ammo, and proceeds to just fire 2x AT4's from the gunners hatch while rolling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/x93pi1/gunner_pov_of_a_humvee_storming_a_russian_held/

gatnerd

11-Sep

So a few months ago, we saw a DIY Truck mounted Brimstone missile MLRS:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/improvised-truck-mounted-brimstone-missile-launcher-emerges-in-ukraine

We're now seeing a commercialized version being developed. While not officially a result of operational use in Ukraine, I'd be surprised if it wasn't:

https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_september_2022_global_security_army_industry/supacat_and_mbda_jointly_launch_brimstone_hmt_overwatch_demonstrator.html

It will be interesting to see what other weapon concepts emerge onto the market based on experience from Ukraine. 

gatnerd

14-Sep

Our first confirmation of Iranian drones:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russia-has-begun-using-iranian-kamikaze-drones-on-ukraine

The most novel aspect of these is that they are fired by 'the stack' from a truck as opposed to a single ground based drone launcher like say the Polish Warmate or Switchblade 600. 

I suspect we'll be seeing more of these, both in Ukraine and also around the middle east. 

graylion

14-Sep

Time for the Gepards

JesseH1234

17-Sep

That article by Zvi Koretzki is one of the smartest things I have read in a long time.  Not as smart as Emeric's paper on caliber,  sonic suppression, and barrel heating (and I can't remember what else), but pretty damn smart. 

Also Emeric, I hope someone paid you a billion dollars to a) write that and 2) take it off the internet again.  I had it saved at one point but I switched machines...... but the analysis of chamber pressure and caliber and audible suppression, all measured by a reasonably relevant constant, was brilliant.  I think when combined with Grossman's "On Killing" there are actual answers to the eternal questions of small arms with their design, use, and effectiveness. 

Anyway my one beef with the Zvi article is the suggestion that the West/Anyone should send Ukraine more "offensive" weapons.  I could not disagree more, as the effective use of heavy and complex weapons like MBTs and aircraft requires: 1) an extreme advantage of overall resources in general, 2) specifically a much higher dedication to training and logistics than one's opponents (tanks/planes/helis guzzle more gas, and require muuuuuuch more individual and group training to be effective in a complex environment than even the best infantry), and 3) they require being used by SURPRISE and EN MASSE. 

TL/DR: Ukraine is doing exactly what it should be doing, in fact the Ukes are performing well beyond anyone's wildest expectations, including mine.