gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

  • 3371
    MEMBERS
  • 192474
    MESSAGES
  • 10
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 214109 views.
gatnerd

From: gatnerd

31-Oct

Germany restarting production of SMART 155's due to how well they work in Ukraine. Downside is production will take 5 years to restart. Plans to buy 10,000 more @ 81,000 euros a shot. 

https://www.technology.org/2022/10/28/germany-to-resume-production-of-smart-155-projectiles-following-an-exceptional-performance-in-ukraine/

In related Germany news as pertains to rearming post Ukraine:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/berlin-lags-defence-purchases-after-100-billion-euro-pledge-sources-2022-10-27/

gatnerd

From: gatnerd

1-Nov

German article on the Gephard in Ukraine, and how it has proven very effective against drones. Also shows the ammo used.

https://archive.ph/yI3eC

schnuersi

From: schnuersi

2-Nov

gatnerd said:

Also shows the ammo used.

That is conventional HEI with impact fuse.

gatnerd

From: gatnerd

2-Nov

I wonder if that’s being pressed into service due to a shortage of the standard load ( was it a frangible AP?)

schnuersi

From: schnuersi

2-Nov

gatnerd said:

I wonder if that’s being pressed into service due to a shortage of the standard load ( was it a frangible AP?)

The original AA load has been HEI. This was changed later, late '90, to FAPDS. The idea has been to increase the hit propability while keeping the effect of a hit at a comparable or even better level. Hit propability against fast and evading targets that is.
Since drones are rather slow, do not evade like a manned attack aircraft and are unprotected unlike attack helicopters or fixed wing attack aircraft. HEI might even be the preferrable choice.

But my educated guess is they use what they can get. So supply most likely will play a role.

autogun

From: autogun

2-Nov

schnuersi said:

The original AA load has been HEI. This was changed later, late '90, to FAPDS. The idea has been to increase the hit propability while keeping the effect of a hit at a comparable or even better level. Hit propability against fast and evading targets that is. Since drones are rather slow, do not evade like a manned attack aircraft and are unprotected unlike attack helicopters or fixed wing attack aircraft. HEI might even be the preferrable choice.

Are the gun muzzles fitted with the fuze-setter for using AHEAD?

gatnerd

From: gatnerd

2-Nov

autogun said:

AHEAD

That seems like it would have been the optimal load / a hell of an advertisement for the concept. 

taschoene

From: taschoene

2-Nov

autogun said:

Are the gun muzzles fitted with the fuze-setter for using AHEAD?

It does not appear that they are.

schnuersi

From: schnuersi

2-Nov

autogun said:

Are the gun muzzles fitted with the fuze-setter for using AHEAD?

Highly unlikely. The Gepards have not been until their phase out of service in the German Army. To my knowledge they are unmodified.

TOP