gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 159986 views.
schnuersi

26-May

gatnerd said:

Russian suicide drone used to brutal effect against a group of UA infantry; videos like this really hammer home the small drone threat and the need for SHORAD down to the squad/platoon level in the future. These are essentially 'anti-personell cruise missiles', and are very cheap to produce.

I really doubt that a SHORAD system would have done anything for these guys. Its obvious from their behaviour that they are unaware of the fact that they are being observed and that an attack is incoming. The "atomic target" they create by bounching up close to one another is a giveaway. If they had dispersed as infantry in combat should with several meters from one man to the next they still would have been hit by the attack but the effect would have been much less severe.
Regardless the unit had zero chance to react to the attack. With or without SHORAD.
This is what I mentioned several times allready: without a proper sensor suite for early warning and tracking SHORAD is useless. In the case of drones even a MG is ample firepower IF the drone is detected and a suitable FCS guiding the weapon.
This problem is not new BTW. The approach speed of ATGMs is pretty low. Its absolutely possible to react to such an attack an deploy countermeasures or dodge it... IF the attack is detected in the first place. Which is usually not the case.
The problem that needs solving is survailance and detection. The problem of killing is simple in comparison.

Mr. T (MrT4)

26-May

This probably includes POW and KIA , but still how long can you go around loosing 2000 per day

TOS 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8piI7JB02c

Italian FH70

gatnerd

26-May

Spectacular RGW90 hit and run small unit action:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uyk4o2/ukus_foreign_legion_fights_fire_rgw90_antitank/

So far these launchers seem to be working well. 

Mr. T (MrT4)

27-May

Same action from drone perspective

https://t.me/RVvoenkor/13797

gatnerd

27-May

Nice, now on youtube as well. Hard to tell; is the vehicles cookoff delayed, or was it hit with a 2nd AT weapon?

Ukraine War - Ukrainian Foreign Legion Fighters RGW-90 Ambush On Russian BTR | Helmet Cam

Video from a group of English speaking Ukrainian Foreign Legion fighters operating with the Ukrainian Kranken Group shows the men conducting an ambush on a R...

Mr. T (MrT4)

27-May

It was hit multiple times after the inital hit, nothing much to cook off when you hit the BTR  , maybe if you just manage to hit the ammo box

schnuersi

27-May

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

It was hit multiple times after the inital hit, nothing much to cook off when you hit the BTR , maybe if you just manage to hit the ammo box

It looked as if the first hit was to the engine compartment.
Im am not sure if multiple hits can be seen on the footage. To me it seems more like secondary explosions. Maybe the engine tearing itself appart or the ammo boxes on the roof got ignited. All explosions seem to originate from the rear roof of the vehicle or the engine deck.

schnuersi

27-May

And another strange case of an AFV alone near a forrest. Where are the dismounts? Why is the APC strolling around in the kill zone of LAWs?

Farmplinker

27-May

Maybe the dismounts were in the woods the AFV retreated to? I could see the end guy of a company told to hold this area down while we sweep the rest of the woods. Only the opposition wasn't where command thought it was.