gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 182895 views.
nincomp

31/5/22

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

Man i would love to get one of these 

My Wife saw this photo agreed with you.  I have the suspicion that in her case, she meant the guy in the foreground, though.scream

gatnerd

1/6/22

Ukraine to reportedly receive HIMARS along with guided rockets (as well as possibly unguided rockets.) Will not receive the ATACMS short range ballistic missiles that can also be fired from the truck.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukraine-to-get-guided-rockets-but-not-ones-able-to-reach-far-into-russia

DavidPawley

1/6/22

Point of order: ATACMS is very specifically not ballistic. It has a “300” km range and is powered all the way, in order to not breach the MCTR & INF treaty.

gatnerd

1/6/22

It is described as a short range ballistic missile:

https://missilethreat.csis.org/missile/atacms/

I believe range is deliberately limited to avoid INF. But I dont think that pertains to its actual method of flight; I'd be astounded if a single stage solid fuel propellant rocket was maintaining thrust from launch to impact. 

Mr. T (MrT4)

1/6/22

ATAMCS don't make much sense for Ukraine any ways, Himars, with 40 mile range on the other hand can play some front line ball , although note Ukraine had some 700 of their own MLRS when war started. 

It's kinda bizarre how Ukraine is supposedly out of any and all gear, they fucking had the world's 4th or 5th  largest arsenal in 91. And now they are running around with ww2 surplus. 

Looks like M109 from Norway

https://t.me/ChDambiev/17279

graylion

1/6/22

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

ATAMCS don't make much sense for Ukraine any ways, Himars, with 40 mile range on the other hand can play some front line ball , although note Ukraine had some 700 of their own MLRS when war started. 

It would be nice for some juicy behind the lines targets.

graylion

1/6/22

After repeated kicks up the backside Germany seems to be gettingb ready to fulfill its promises:

"Scholz further said that 12 Panzerhaubitze 2000 howitzers, which Germany is providing together with the Netherlands, will be supplied to Ukraine in the coming weeks, with training of Ukrainian soldiers on those artillery pieces to be completed “within days.” Germany will also send at least 15 units of Gepard air-defense tanks to Ukraine in July along with training."

as well as IRIS-T SL. How long will it take to train Ukrainians on that?

schnuersi

1/6/22

graylion said:

as well as IRIS-T SL. How long will it take to train Ukrainians on that?

That is the wrong question. The real question is when will this system be available. It is not in use by Bundeswehr. So these can not be handed over. They need to be build first. I heard it will take month.
The first batch of Gepards is scheduled for July.

graylion

1/6/22

So UA is getting the ones that were slanted to be delivered to the BW? Wow. Scholzmust have gotten some serious blowback. Also, the Poles are accusing DE to have broken their word on delivering Leo 2A4 in Ringtausch.

• Edited 01 June 2022 15:48  by  graylion
Mr. T (MrT4)

1/6/22

Germany is actually supplying the most albeit indirectly, just about every eastern European supply of armor was only possible after Germany promised to replace the donated soviet gear with German surplus gear no one really just gave away tanks and APCs. Its either US or Germany paying for it or in some cases UK.

Anyways at this pace, if the war doesn't wrap up soon there will be no Ukrainians left to arm and besides EU has to start filling the gas storage latest in August. Aside from the carnage in Donbas supposed Ukrainian offensive in Kherson is turning out to be an absolute meat grinder for Ukrainian military with no visible gains and horrendous losses.