gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rheinmetall Panther 2 KF51 Tank with 130mm   Army Guns 20+mm

Started 14/6/22 by gatnerd; 53537 views.
In reply toRe: msg 431
gatnerd

23-Nov

A cool look at a 90's past concept for a 39-51 ton lightweight Abrams. Lots of more pics and info in there.

https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1654572183761588224

A sprawling discussion on the proposed upgraded Abrams, the future of the tank and whether upgrading it should be a priority, and other tanks issues. A number of the members talking here are former or still current US Mil. 

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Updated-Army-Announces-Plans-for-M1E3-Abrams-Tank-modernization/5-2671127/?page=1

Thoughts range from the 'Tank is Eternal', to 'how the hell are we going to fight the Chicoms with tanks', with most siding somewhere in the middle. 

In reply toRe: msg 432
gatnerd

15-Dec

Here's a wildcard: Hungary going for KF51

https://www.rheinmetall.com/en/media/news-watch/news/2023/12/2023-12-15-panther-developement-contract-hungary

Really surprised that Hungary is first to move on this. But if it it users in a glorious Panther Party then I'm all for it.

schnuersi

16-Dec

gatnerd said:

Really surprised that Hungary is first to move on this.

Not really.
Hungary also is the launch customer for the KF41 Lynx IFV. Rheinmetal is pitching the KF51 to Hungary and some other nations for quite some time now.
There is a lot of politics involved. Rheinmetall wants to establish its own series of AFV, developed fully in house without KMW or german government involvement, on the market. They are not asking to many questions and offer good deals with production in country. The majority of the Lynx for Hungary will be produced in a new factory in Hungary. KNDS doesn't really offer this. They are much more focussed on filling the queus of their own production facilities and expanding these.
Current rumor is that UA is intrested in a significant number of Lynx and is concidering KF51 once it becomes available. Which would be huge. Since we talk about high three digit numbers of vehicles. Possibly even four digit numbers. This would result in ramping up production to mid Cold War level. The price per unit would fall conciderably because of effects of scale. Resulting in these two vehicles become very attractive for other customers.
As icing on the cake if UA deployes these vehicles ans uses them they will be combat tested. In a modern environment of a near peer conflict. Wich would lead to the vehicles being further improved. This could potentially be a huge thing for Rheinmetall and the german defense industry.

graylion

16-Dec

schnuersi said:

Current rumor is that UA is intrested in a significant number of Lynx

I thought they were working on CV90? 

schnuersi

16-Dec

graylion said:

I thought they were working on CV90?

Well they are working on anything they can lay ther hands on currently.
As fas as I know the CV90 is the short term solution and I am not sure if there will be a production run specifically for UA.

With the Lynx we talk about a mid to long term solution. A version configured according to the wishes of the UA army and a full production run to equip the entire army. So basically we talk about UAs next gen equipment. They also want to produce them locally.
Same with the KF51.

graylion

16-Dec

I thought they were talking about making CV90 locally and building a 4digit number? In the light of no place in UA being safe from Russian missiles, I assume the manufacturing plants will be under a mountain range?

schnuersi

16-Dec

We will have to wait and see what happens.

Things are constantly in motion and few reliably info is available.

In reply toRe: msg 438
gatnerd

31-Jan

A look at Challenger 3; seems UK is not going with the 'Expeditionary Missile Force' plan I'd hoped for. Plan is to convert 148 C2 to C3.

https://www.twz.com/this-is-the-challenger-3-advanced-main-battle-tank

-L55A1 cannon --> now fires NATO standard ammo, but reduces capacity from 49 to 31

-FCS from AJAX, 'open system architecture' to be upgradeable 

-New Modular Armor (nMa) for sides of hull and belly; fitted for but not with 

-Trophy APS; fitted for but not with 

-Improved engine and suspension