gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 444598 views.
Gr1ff1th

11/11/21

They haven't actually dropped it, they novated it, which means they've given up the rights temporarily, it will come back to them at some point in the future

stancrist

11/11/21

nincomp said:

I don't really see the advantage of a case telescoped round for an infantry weapon when compared to TV's polymer cased one.  It would seem:

1)  that more polymer would be needed to enclose the bullet, increasing the rounds volume

2)  the case would be larger diameter (although shorter), making the magazines wider and the increased volume adds bulk

The dimensional difference between the two are not that great.

The 6.8 TVCM has the same diameter and length as 7.62 NATO.

The 6.8 CT has insignificant difference in diameter and length.

There's little difference in cartridge volume, magazine size/bulk.

stancrist

11/11/21

Why do you think it is temporary?

Gr1ff1th

11/11/21

Because the Army and GD specifically used the word "Novated", which by definition is a temporary lease of patent rights to a lessee (in this case TV/LSFW)

gatnerd

11/11/21

Ah, thank you for pointing that out Stan about it being black.

Last night I downloaded this software extension for Chrome to make every website I visit appear in “night mode,” which is a darkened screen designed to be easier on the eyes when reading at night.

I guess for some reason this “night mode”is getting copied with the text, and blacking out quotes. I’ll try and get that figured out; using my phone now.

gatnerd

11/11/21

gatnerd said:

I’ll try and get that figured out; using my phone now

Testing testing. Whitelisisted delphiforums, hopefully that fixes the blacked out quotes.

roguetechie

11/11/21

I have stripper clip guides for ak and AR on my go bag but it's more an old dude affectation rather than anything useful lol

gatnerd

11/11/21

NGSW Spear interview:

NGSW Spear 6.8mm Full Interview with Expert

Subject matter expert on the Next Generation Squad Weapon US Army weapons program gives us a rundown on how the weapon works. THIS IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR MILI...

Gr1ff1th

12/11/21

It may sound childish, but I just cannot bring myself to care about SIG's bid other than hoping it doesn't win/get adopted, They're only in due to rules lawyering the requirements and all they offer is dead end technology 

gatnerd

12/11/21

Gr1ff1th said:

It may sound childish, but I just cannot bring myself to care about SIG's bid other than hoping it doesn't win/get adopted, They're only in due to rules lawyering the requirements and all they offer is dead end technology 

Their LMG looks pretty good, so long as accuracy is ok (an earlier video had mentioned pretty poor accuracy, possibly due to the moving barrel.)

As far as SIGs case technology, I'm torn. I dont like it for 6.8, as the result is a 7.62 weight cartridge - obviously not great.

But, SIGs case could be really sweet indeed in a smaller cartridge.

For example, I'd be very curious to know how the velocity would be for a 6x45mm (5.56 necked up to 6mm) would perform at 80kpsi firing a 85-88gr projectile at 2.5" COL. With the SIG high pressure case, you could get a 'GPC' type performance out of a metallic cartridge not much heavier than 5.56 brass. 

Likewise, a .224 Valkrie at 80kpsi... 

This of course supposes that TV's cases may not be optimized for high pressures. On the other hand, if TV's cases can run 80kpsi no issue, then SIGs cases are indeed pretty pointless.