gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW evaluation update   Small Arms <20mm

Started 31/7/20 by autogun; 16084 views.
In reply toRe: msg 14
QuintusO

1/8/20

Assumptions are 140 rounds per gun for all the NGSW rifles, 1,000 rounds per gun for the NGSW belt feds, and 220 rounds per gun for the GDOTS mag-fed AR.

• Edited 01 August 2020 18:36  by  QuintusO
renatohm

1/8/20

You posted the reduced load elsewhere but I can't remember it - memory isn't what it once was...

taschoene

1/8/20

So is it accurate that most of the weight savings for the GDOTS combo comes from a sharply reduced ammo load for the AR/LMG?  

How are the Marines loading up their AR gunners with the M27?  Just a 30% increase like you're calculating for the GDOTS AR?  

QuintusO

1/8/20

taschoene said:

So is it accurate that most of the weight savings for the GDOTS combo comes from a sharply reduced ammo load for the AR/LMG?  

Yes. I have them carrying 1,420 rounds per squad, instead of 2,980 rounds for the other two.

taschoene said:

How are the Marines loading up their AR gunners with the M27?  Just a 30% increase like you're calculating for the GDOTS AR?  

Correct. 11 magazines (330 rounds for the M27, 220 rounds for the GDOTS NGSW-AR).

• Edited 01 August 2020 18:38  by  QuintusO
stancrist

1/8/20

QuintusO said:

Assumptions are 140 rounds per gun for all the NGSW rifles, 1,000 rounds per gun for the NGSW belt feds, and 220 rounds per gun for the GDOTS mag-fed AR.

GIGO.  Your assumed ammo loads may be quite different from the actual ammo loads.

renatohm

1/8/20

Thanks for this!

DavidPawley

2/8/20

Yes, but for comparison purposes using the same number of magazines as currently issued as basic load is a reasonable basis.

stancrist

2/8/20

I'm not sure how "reasonable" -- or useful -- it is to make a comparison that may have no resemblance to reality.

And IIRC, the early statements were that the same number of rounds would be carried, not that the same number of magazines would.

• Edited 02 August 2020 11:24  by  stancrist
QuintusO

2/8/20

I'm so glad I have Stan blocked lmao. Life is bliss.