gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 36419 views.
roguetechie

26/4/21

Weight is going to be even worse...

I sincerely hope that this isn't what happens. The Germans are on the whole shitty allies but even they don't deserve this.

Farmplinker

26/4/21

Looks kinda like the new .22 from Standard Manufacturing. A few changes to it and they'll have a .22 plinker version of HK's newest rifle before HK does!

In reply toRe: msg 106
Mr. T (MrT4)

27/4/21

There are a couple of G36 upgrade options out there , and HK could count on further business upgrading other client's G36 in the future. Kinda wonder what happened to XM-8 tooling and IP as it doesn't seem it will ever show in production in any iteration. 

The proposed WILCOX FUSION System for the Steyr G36 Upgrade programme is a lightweight integrated modular forend, powered by a single CR123 battery, forming one holistic solution incorporating a Reflex Sight, Red Visible Laser, IR Laser, Fixed IR Illuminator and a SureFire dual spectrum head giving both white and infrared light. The system is designed to integrate into commonly used weapon accessories and the all-in-one modular system can be adjusted on the fly and controlled ambidextrously by the shooter. There is one single precision adjuster for each plane (windage and elevation) and a Trajectory Switch adjusts POA/POI for two pre-set firing solutions. A dual battery management system features primary and reserve supply. A x3 magnifier kit is available as an option.

Mr. T (MrT4)

27/4/21

When it comes to height over bore nothing exceeds current G36 with a Red dot on top of the rail.

roguetechie

27/4/21

The xm8 was kinda a warmed over but ultimately flawed G36 to begin with, I'm curious which part of it's IP you think should be resurrected though?

Im curious if you see something that I may have missed.

Edit to add: I'm also really not a fan of the Wilcox "fix" for the g36.

I think that the Germans would be better served going basically any direction but that one.

It's also the worst possible outcome for their own defense industrial base too and regardless of anything else that's an important consideration

Mr. T (MrT4)

27/4/21

Nothing that could be retrofitted. G36 is not a bad gun, XM-8 was for all intents and purposes improved, 

But to fix the rail height issue I would make the charging handle manually selected to stay either right or left side and drop the whole rail on top of with minimal gap ,add the  HK433 like forend and slightly shorter fatter Barrel and be done with it.

Euro gun optics approach was typically to make integrated sights specific to a gun (AUG,FN2000,G36etc..) ,but considering how long guns stay in service in European militaries that is not really practical anymore as optics are now improving much faster than the other elements.

HK already has a band-aid fix for the heat issue as well as the rail-mounted optics, rail system that also functions as a heat sink,the aluminum forend and top rail equipped rifle on one of my picts.

As seen in patent  DE102015013803 (A1) ? 2017-04-27

JPeelen

27/4/21

As Emeric showed a long time ago on this forum, the rail height is actually a non issue. Its impact on hit probability, considering realistic cant effects,  is of no significance.   

• Edited 27 April 2021 16:13  by  JPeelen
roguetechie

27/4/21

I mean... I'm sure that emerics data was convincing...

To people who haven't shot rifles much.

Mr. T (MrT4)

27/4/21

I haven't seen much info on that concerning the assault rifles , but in sniper rifles where i am more at home we have seen some spectacular rifles that turned out less forgiving to shot well at distances purely because of the rail height. Remington MSR comes to mind